PENTATHLON (Bruce Malmuth, 1994)

An area for discussion of Dolph's past, present & future movies!

Moderator: Moderators

Re: PENTATHLON (Bruce Malmuth, 1994)

Postby Jox on 02 Apr 2018, 23:41

Thanks, cool show!

I have to bring a few nuances though:

- Dolph's involvement in promoting pentathlon and being the 1996 Olympics team leader came 2-3 years after the production on the request of the US team (who had trained him for the film) because the event was threatened to be canceled from the games after Atlanta.

- The shooting script was not a last minute decision before camera rolled, it was locked before pre-pproduction officially began. And I think it was Lundgren who might have been pushing for this draft because he wanted to make it more of a sport-drama thriller medleying a ROCKY type feel with a movie like MARATHON MAN.
The writer of the shooting draft is named James Wilson, who was apparently credited in his team on MOTU, so Dolph probably brought him on, whereas previous writers where friends from producer Martin Caan...

(I now see it could even almost be seen as a pseudo DRAGO spin-off with a different character and sport)

- Part of the budget restraints came fro the lack of interest or gross made from the distributors pre-sales

- As for the romance with Julia (Renée Coleman), in the years from JOSHUA TREE / ARMY OF ONE to THE SHOOTER or even SILENT TRIGGER, Dolph was very keen on making more romantic films, having more than just sex or flings relationships, I mean basically in the pre- and post-JOHNNY MNEMONIC years, he was aiming at branching out to more serious, auteurs or art-house films. This was also the years he was doing small plays in New York and had the project to set up a play or film adaptation of the classic 19th Swedish play MISS JULIE (by writer August Strindberg).

- The shooting script ends just like the finished movie, no omitted scenes following the killing of Müeller and Dolph seen as being relieved.
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 30 Jul 2018, 19:14

PENTATHLON commenced filming 25 years ago...

(with steadicam operator Jerry Hill)

Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 05 Aug 2018, 10:52

French dubbed trailer

Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 19 Oct 2018, 00:20

The trailer as featured on the UK rental VHS of Robert Patrick's starrer ZERO TOLERANCE (Joseph Merhi, PM Entertainment)

Jox
Site Admin

Postby Gunner on 25 Jan 2019, 19:11

Jox wrote:The shooting script was not a last minute decision before camera rolled, it was locked before pre-pproduction officially began. And I think it was Lundgren who might have been pushing for this draft because he wanted to make it more of a sport-drama thriller medleying a ROCKY type feel with a movie like MARATHON MAN.
The writer of the shooting draft is named James Wilson, who was apparently credited in his team on MOTU, so Dolph probably brought him on, whereas previous writers where friends from producer Martin Caan...

So that's why they didn't went with those earlier scripts. Good to know, i thought that it was just the budget that made them change the final script. That being said, personally i would rather prefer if they made the film to be more like the earlier versions of the script. I tried to give Pentathlon another chance, but it just didn't work for me. Only thing i didn't mind that much was Dolph's performance. I never cared for the film in the first place, and when i first read that synopsis of the original script, it really just made me think of the final film as big missed opportunity. And i'm not saying that the version they went with wouldn't work at all, but i think that it just needed a better script and director to make it work.
Gunner

Postby Jox on 15 Mar 2019, 11:41

Italian VHS

Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 02 Jun 2019, 17:13

Lionsgate has put out PENTATHLON on Amazon Prime (US), not HD it seems though.
https://www.amazon.com/Pentathlon-John- ... 07R2FJX4D/

Jox
Site Admin

Postby lt.brannigan on 02 Jun 2019, 22:05

Didn't realize Lionsgate had the rights. Wonder if they will put out a DVD or Blu-Ray... as far as I can recollect it's never been available here on either format. Have the German Blu-Ray, which I am happy with, but would love to have a decent a domestic release.
lt.brannigan

Postby Jox on 04 Jun 2019, 21:25

PENTATHLON was co-financed by Live Entertainment so it's not a surprise Lionsgate still has it.

I don't know if they will bother for a physical release though, especially of this title. They don't seem too concerned about releasing catalog blu-rays unless it's past blockbusters.
Jox
Site Admin

Postby lt.brannigan on 05 Jun 2019, 01:10

Pentathlon doesn't particularly seem like a movie they would release on Blu-Ray, but maybe they will do a multi feature or something of Dolph movies and debut a few that way. They released Hercules in New York that way.
lt.brannigan

Postby Jox on 05 Jun 2019, 12:39

They just release those as a bundle

Jox
Site Admin

Postby lt.brannigan on 05 Jun 2019, 13:08

Bought that set. Great steal for only $10, only downside is they squeeze 3 movies per disc.
lt.brannigan

Postby Jox on 12 Jun 2019, 16:07

Trade ad

Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 02 Sep 2019, 09:33

Australian theatrical poster

Jox
Site Admin

#helmutkrauss - Re:

Postby Stimmenkartei on 05 Sep 2019, 19:10

Mosquito wrote:
dolphage wrote:Because in german, to me, it sounds like a similar voice doing DL´s voice over and over.

I have watched only a few movies in German but I've been told that most of his movies are dubbed by Manfred Lehmann, also an actor. He's famous as "Germany's action voice". He always dubs Bruce Willis, Kurt Russel, Gérard Dépardieu, Christophe Lambert, James Woods. And every tough guy who appears on screen, it seems. :-) He's got a really cool voice but I think he appears too often. He's doing frequent radio ads for a big hardware store which is really annoying.

I think his voice is good for Dolph but only if you don't know Dolph's real voice. Dolph's voice can be so much gentler than Manfred Lehmann's. Here's a sample:
http://www.stimmgerecht.de/schau/lehman.php

The only other famous action movie voice that equals Lehmann's, well, fame and quantity is Thomas Danneberg. He dubs the other half of the big action stars. ;-) Stallone, Arnie, Travolta, Nick Nolte... here's his description and sample:
http://www.stimmgerecht.de/schau/dantho.php

The worst Dolph-voice was used for Red Scorpion, Army of One and Rocky IV. I just found out that it was Helmut Krauss, who is the frequent voice of Marlon Brando or Sam Jackson. Far too old and to rough for Dolph (in this sample it is not as rough as in Red Scorpion):

http://www.helmutkrauss.de/hoerbeispiele/osna-cops-intro.mp3

We miss Helmut Krauss infinitely. On August 26, 2019 Helmut died at the age of 78 years. A very wonderful special person, so nice, such a good heart. What would have been "The Godfather" Marlon Brando in the German-speaking world without the legendary voice of Helmut Krauss:
https://www.stimmenkartei.de/blog/helmu ... on-brando/. Thank you dear Helmut for all the beautiful moments you have given us, your place is always in our hearts.
Stimmenkartei

PreviousNext

Return to Dolph's Movies