A Patreon page for Dolph-Ultimate?

Have some suggestions on how to improve the site? Any feedback on the site? Post it in here!

Moderator: Moderators

A Patreon page for Dolph-Ultimate?

Postby Jox on 05 Apr 2018, 17:41

Greetings, my dear friends (old and new, online and in real life),

I would like to announce that I'm seriously considering launching a Patreon page for you to become patrons of the website/forum and my DL researches and work.

The web 1.0 was very different and it was different times.
Back in 2002 when I launched my own site DOLPH-IN THE UNKNOWN DOLPH LUNDGREN in parallel to the original Definitive Guide, and in 2004 when I took over here and merged those two, I was against having publicity and annoying ads on the site(s) just to make a few bucks (and despite my limited income), and I've paid every expenses.

Additionally, in the last 30 years, and even more so since the internet and sites like eBay, I never stopped spending time and money on research: magazines (vintage and new), multiple DVD & Blu-ray editions, memorabilia such as lobby cards, rare adverts and flyers, still photos (up to €30 a piece for rare shots) and posters from all over the world( not mentioning all the additional costs of shipping all these which pretty much doubled the prices every time)...

Today, things have changed,
and with crowdfunding and compensations sites such as Patreon for content creators and editors, it does no longer seems embarrassing to ask for support from those who are enjoying and appreciating the work and content.

Also, since the avent of social medias, especially in the past 5-8 years, I've been doubled and taken advantage of countless times by unscrupulous websites and social media pages who are using my findings and/or even my personal content that I either worked on or searched for and bought without any credits, acknowledgements, or sorry/consideration/apologies when I call them on that unrespectful Web 2.0 behaviour...
And with click-bait headlines and way to present their posts, they certainly profit more than I do in terms of visibility at least. (Maybe it's my scholar background but I've most always made sure to quote my sources and links when it doesn't come me)

Therefore, I would think it's only fair for me to call for your support on your freewill to contribute to my work, fees, and time that it's been taking me to administrate the site and now the forum, sometimes to the detriment of endeavours and aspects of my life.

So I will of course let you know if / when I set up the Patreon page (or another platform if you know of a better one).

Feel free to post any feedback or comment, as I'd love to hear your thoughts on the subject.

Thank you for reading me, and my biggest gratitude to all of you followers and and dear friends, and I've made true, long-lasting IRL friendships through this website...  

8) :wink:

Yours truly, Jox.

P.S. I also think I would also post unpublished or rare articles or interviews of mine on there and Medium...
Jox
Site Admin

Re: Patreon

Postby bomaz on 10 Apr 2018, 20:29

I'd be willing (and glad) to participate to this (even if it would be at a small scale :) )
bomaz

Postby Jox on 11 Apr 2018, 22:34

Thanks for your reply, Bomaz!

Anybody else has an opinion or something to say? What's your reactions, guys? :?:

Suggestions of counterparts or perks you'd like to have access to?

:arrow: I want to hear your voices, otherwise I wouldn't consult with you...
Jox
Site Admin

Re: A Patreon page for Dolph-Ultimate?

Postby savagesketch on 19 Apr 2018, 06:44

I'd be willing to definitely chip in some. You helped me get my podcast going, so it's only mutual my friend! :D
savagesketch

Postby Dolph_Fan on 01 May 2018, 01:28

Jox wrote:Thanks for your reply, Bomaz!

Anybody else has an opinion or something to say? What's your reactions, guys? :?:

Suggestions of counterparts or perks you'd like to have access to?

:arrow: I want to hear your voices, otherwise I wouldn't consult with you...

Asking for financial assistance is an alright concept with me. (I would ask for financial assistance if I required it)
Dolph_Fan
Regular

Postby harry on 08 Jun 2018, 12:11

Me? In.
harry

Postby Travis on 11 Jun 2018, 13:23

I haven't been on here for a while but I say do it.

I have one https://www.patreon.com/kraft
Travis
Regular

Postby Jox on 11 Jun 2018, 20:25

Thank you all for your feedback and support!
I'll look more into it when I have a moment and will keep you posted...
Jox
Site Admin

Return to Web Site Discussion