New MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE movie (2004-2023)

Feel free to discuss everything not related to Dolph. Have a good time and be friendly!

Moderator: Moderators

Re: New MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE movie (2004-2017)

Postby Jox on 13 Aug 2016, 10:26

HE-MAN AND THE MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE DIRECTOR MCG ON CASTING, VILLAINS, TONE AND MORE
http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/08/12/ ... e-and-more
Jox
Site Admin

Re: New MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE movie (2004-2016)

Postby Jox on 08 Sep 2016, 10:18

About Kellan Lutz
http://www.usmagazine.com/celebrity-new ... ry-w438572
The hunk, 31, told Us that he’s dying to play comic-book and ‘80s cartoon character He-Man in the upcoming movie remake of 1987’s Masters of the Universe. The original film starred Dolph Lundgren as the buff hero of Eternia.

“DeVon Franklin, he's a producer over at Sony, he’s an amazing man and he let me know that they’re creating The Masters of the Universe a couple years ago and I was thinking that would really top off every dream I’ve had in the industry,” the Hercules actor told Us of his dream role. “I met with McG, who is the director of it, [and] they’re working on the script and I’m just kind of playing with it. … So hopefully when they finish the script I have a chance to audition for it.”

Lutz has been campaigning for the role for awhile now. In June, the actor tweeted about his meeting with McG, teasing fans about the film and his potential role.
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 27 Apr 2017, 10:00

New MOTU movie slated by Sony for December 18, 2019 and McG no longer attached to direct, David S. Goyer (BLADE, DARK CITY, BATMAN BEGINS) to pen yet another script...
http://ew.com/movies/2017/04/26/sony-re ... se-reboot/
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 18 Nov 2017, 20:54

https://www.instagram.com/p/BbpHPTtl2Ly/
Art director Naeim Khavari on one of the previous versions developed:
Once upon a time ago I was asked to help develop a new look for the He Man movie (that is still trying to be made). The director wanted to go for a more tech approach to his sword and "armor", more sci-fi than fantasy. it's been long enough that I can throw it up for ya'll to see. And yep I had to use @chrishemsworth as reference. That's what they wanted at the time :)

Kinda looks like the 2002 figure...
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 01 Dec 2017, 08:02

David S. Goyer in Talks to Direct He-Man Film ‘Masters of the Universe’ for Sony (Exclusive)
https://www.thewrap.com/david-s-goyer-h ... -universe/
Jox
Site Admin

Re: New MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE movie (2004-2019)

Postby Jox on 13 Dec 2017, 08:14

New SHE-RA animated series to come out in 2018 from Dreamworks and Netflix
http://variety.com/2017/tv/news/trollhu ... 202637829/
“She-Ra”
From Eisner Award-winning author and executive producer Noelle Stevenson comes a modern take on the ‘80s girl power icon for a new generation of young fans. The trailblazing property originally debuted in 1985 to satisfy demand for a female-led fantasy series. The series is described as an epic and timely tale that celebrates female friendship and empowerment, led by a warrior princess tailor made for today. The series will be available to Netflix members worldwide in 2018.

Showrunner Noelle Stevenson:
I've been working on this in secret along with some really incredible talent for almost two years now. Stay tuned for more details over the next few months - can't wait for you to see what we're doing.

EDIT:
Five Things Netflix's New 'She-Ra' Cartoon Needs To Have
https://www.forbes.com/sites/lukethomps ... 0d253828e9
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 11 Jan 2018, 10:11

Masters of the Universe Movie Begins Shooting This Spring?
http://omegaunderground.com/2018/01/10/ ... ion-start/
It was recently announced that Sony Pictures has hired David S. Goyer (Blade, Batman Begins, Man of Steel) to direct and co-write their Masters of The Universe (He-Man) remake. A new live-action feature project that has been bouncing around different studios and was in various stages of development over the years.

Omega Underground has now learned that Sony is eyeing Masters of The Universe to begin filming around April.

Up-and-coming studio screenwriter Lindsey Beer had been writing the most recent version of the script. Beer has been working on mostly bigger movies with Choas Walking, Godzilla vs Kong, and Barbie. She is also part of the Star Trek writer’s room for the Quentin Tarantino project.

A location hasn’t been named but we’re hearing Europe is a strong possibility to be the home base of the fantasy film production. Sony started branching out there recently with The Crow Reborn shooting in Budapest, Hungary.

We currently don’t have production dates for the film.

Sony has given the fantasy film the release date of December 18th, 2019 but we expect it’ll move out of the way of Star Wars: Episode IX.
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 12 Jan 2018, 18:47

Some fans have been pushing the idea of Dolph as Skeletor (better than a cameo as the king or someone like that), but if they start filming MOTU in April as anticipated, he would likely not be available for more than a cameo... Otherwise, even if the material is not his cup of tea, he'd sure have a blast chewing the scenery with a character like Skeletor...

I wouldn't mind a story where He-Man becomes Skeletor, it's like those antagonist characters that are so opposite they're actually the same (like Hook is actually another version of Peter Pan and vice versa), one being the other side of the coin, one in the light, the other in the shadow, they can't exist without the other...
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 09 Feb 2018, 10:25

After "development hell", pre-production hell: David S. Goyer leaves the directorial reigns whereas the new MOTU movie is still set for release on December 18, 2019
http://variety.com/2018/film/news/maste ... 202692790/
‘Masters of the Universe’ Still Needs Director as David S. Goyer Passes (EXCLUSIVE)

“Masters of the Universe” is still in the hunt for a director, Variety has learned. Sony Pictures, the studio behind the He-Man movie, had been in talks with David S. Goyer, but the filmmaker and screenwriter has had to drop out because of other commitments.

Goyer turned in a draft of “Masters of the Universe” last fall that excited the studio so much that they hoped to convince him to slide behind the camera. However, Goyer is enmeshed in work on “Foundation,” a mini-series adaptation of Irving Asimov’s science-fiction trilogy, and won’t be able to juggle both projects. Complicating matters is “Masters of the Universe’s” Dec. 18, 2019, release date, which puts a clock on the production. Before Goyer fell out, Sony had been getting ready to talk to actors about joining the film.

Goyer will stay involved on “Masters of the Universe” as an executive producer and screenwriter. “Masters of the Universe” is based on a Mattel toyline and popular children’s cartoon. It centers on mythical fantasy world in which Prince Adam battles with the villainous Skeletor as his heroic alter-ego He-Man.

Goyer is best known as the co-writer of “Batman Begins,” “Dark City,” and “Man of Steel.” “Foundation” is being backed by Skydance Media and overseen by Josh Friedman.

Sony is currently meeting with other candidates to direct the film and still believes it will make its release date.
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 04 Mar 2018, 19:45

If this MOTU reboot movie still starts production this spring, it might feel a little like the late 80s all over again with CREED II coming in November 2018 and MOTU in December 2019...!
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 16 Apr 2018, 20:15

The new movie was supposed to start filming this month and seems to be pushed back again since David Goyer's departure as a director...

Previous writer director Jeff Wadlow unveils his aborted plans:

Jeff Wadlow Talks ‘Masters of the Universe’ Plans
http://collider.com/jeff-wadlow-x-force ... e-universe
Wadlow was also previously attached to a Masters of the Universe movie, which has been in development for a long, long time. He came onboard in 2014, and the filmmaker says his take on the material was more in line with Guardians of the Galaxy, while the studio wanted a more straightforward fantasy tone:

“I had a really irreverent take on Masters of the Universe, and the studio, at the time, was very focused on a Game of Thrones/Lord of the Rings take. I love He-Man. I still have all my original figures from the ‘80s. That’s how I got the job. I brought them in and put them on the table and was like, ‘This is why I’m a director!’ I wrote a scene where Prince Adam meets Ram Man and says to him, ‘So, they call you Ram Man, huh?’ And he’s like, ‘Yeah.’ And he goes, ‘Do you like that name?’ And Ram Man goes, ‘I’m owning it.’ So, there was an irreverence to it, but at the time, that just didn’t gel with what they wanted to do.”
masters-of-the-universe-poster

Wadlow notes that his take may have been a bit too early, as studios are now all about irreverence in sci-fi:

“It’s interesting now, with Thor: Ragnarok and Guardians of the Galaxy. I think that’s sort of what I was trying to do, but either I was too early or they just never saw it that way. That’s the weird thing about making movies in the studio system. You can have a take and a real point of view, but if it doesn’t line up with the point of view of the people who are writing the checks, it doesn’t matter. That’s why working with Jason [Blum] has been so fantastic. He’s changing the way that movies are made. He’s basically saying, ‘As long as we keep the budget down, it doesn’t matter what I think. I want you to do what you think is best.’”

Indeed Truth or Dare looks like a great thrill ride, and the Masters of the Universe movie is still languishing in development hell at the moment as it’s gone through two more subsequent directors after Wadlow left. All’s well that ends well.
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 20 Apr 2018, 07:31

Jox wrote:The new movie was supposed to start filming this month and seems to be pushed back again since David Goyer's departure as a director...

‘Masters of the Universe’: Nee Brothers to Direct He-Man Movie (EXCLUSIVE)
http://variety.com/2018/film/news/he-ma ... 202763492/

He-Man has found new masters.

Sony Pictures and Mattel have tapped the directing duo of Aaron and Adam Nee to helm the He-Man movie “Masters of the Universe,” sources tell Variety.

Escape Artists’ Todd Black, Jason Blumenthal, and Steve Tisch will produce with DeVon Franklin.

The movie will be based on the beloved Mattel toyline, which spawned a successful animated TV series (1983-85) as well as a 1987 film. The property centers on the warrior He-Man, the last hope of a magical land called Eternia. Dolph Lundgren starred in the original pic as the title character, while Frank Langella played the villainous Skeletor.

The pic is written by David Goyer, who is also an executive producer. Goyer had circled the director’s chair, but prior engagements forced him to pass on directing, though insiders say he is extremely involved in the development of the film.

Sony has already dated the movie for December 18, 2019, with exec Matt Milam overseeing it for the studio.

Sony is coming off one of its more successful years, following smash hits like “Spider-Man: Homecoming” and “Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle,” both of which have future installments planned. Though “Masters of the Universe” has encountered hurdles over the years, Sony still views it as a valuable property and hopes to add it to its list of major franchises in the works.

As for the Nee brothers, the gig marks a major milestone for the rising stars whose 2015 indie thriller “Band of Robbers” earned critical acclaim and put the brothers on the map. The two are repped by CAA, and attorneys Eric Sherman and Matt Johnson at Ziffren.
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 03 May 2018, 07:39

EXCLUSIVE: He-Man: Masters of the Universe Character Breakdowns Revealed
http://thathashtagshow.com/2018/05/mast ... -universe/

SPOILERS ALERT SPOILERS ALERT SPOILERS ALERT SPOILERS ALERT
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Chilton on 05 Sep 2018, 14:28

Jox wrote:If you're looking for great Stenabolic results and this MOTU reboot movie still starts production this spring, it might feel a little like the late 80s all over again with CREED II coming in November 2018 and MOTU in December 2019...!

Could not be more hyped up for this project. I just hope they do it justice. I loved Orko as a kid so much.
Last edited by Chilton on 31 Oct 2022, 12:13, edited 3 times in total.
Chilton

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic