CREED II (Steven Caple, Jr., 2018)

An area for discussion of Dolph's past, present & future movies!

Moderator: Moderators

Re: CREED II (Steven Caple, Jr., 2018) (in post-production)

Postby bomaz on 20 Jun 2018, 18:26

It's short, and there's no Dolph, but I like what I see here.

And by not showing Dolph, it proves it's a pivotal marketing point for them, so we'll have plenty of him on the screen (at least, that's my guess)
bomaz

Postby shooby on 20 Jun 2018, 18:38

Dolph is in the video ... stealthily, at 01:34 :
shooby

Postby bomaz on 20 Jun 2018, 19:35

Wow, you've got quite the eye (of the tiger).
bomaz

Postby Jox on 20 Jun 2018, 23:08

Jox wrote:

1,650,834 views on YT in a just few hours already...

My post on VDFan:
CREED II is not about Dolph being in the movie... it's about DRAGO being back. Huge difference.

And that is what makes people already excited for the film, and not just film nerds.

ROCKY IV was huge back in the day and made a lasting impression as one of the most emblematic films of the Reagan era with one of the most remembered villains on screen. Even people who haven't never seen it or care for the ROCKY movies know about the "big blond Russian" from ROCKY IV...

But yes coming back to the "teaser", they sure weren't gonna show everything at once and will probably reveal him later during publicity, and that's smart, especially for unaware mainstream audiences. (The CREED I teaser trailer didn't show or tell you much either btw)

'Creed II' Looks to Overcome the Past
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat- ... st-1121781
The film draws upon the nostalgia of 'Rocky IV,' but the trailer maintains the grounded nature Ryan Coogler established three years ago.

MGM has stepped back into the ring with the release of the first trailer for Creed II. Creed (2015), a continuation of the Rocky (1976) franchise, focused on Apollo Creed’s son Adonis (Michael B. Jordan) and his rise in the boxing world, while positioning Rocky Balboa (Sylvester Stallone) as his mentor. The film, directed by Ryan Coogler, received critical acclaim, Golden Globe and Academy Award nominations, and made $173.6 million on a $40 million budget. In other words, Creed came out swinging.

Creed put Coogler on the radar of Marvel Studios and led to him landing the directing gig on Black Panther, which saw him reteam with Michael B. Jordan for a third time. Although Coogler did not return to direct Creed II, he is onboard as executive producer. Stepping into the spotlight as director is newcomer Steven Caple Jr., whose previous film The Land, premiered at the Sundance Film Festival in 2016. While the lack of Coogler’s direction may give some film fans pause, it’s worth pointing out that Coogler was in the same position as Caple was when he took on Rocky’s iconic legacy following his feature film debut with the Sundance hit Fruitvale Station (2013). Coogler has become a sensation in the past couple years, and if Creed II is as good as this teaser trailer lets on, then Steven Caple Jr. has a fighting chance of finding similar success.

Although Stallone was set to write and direct the film himself, having written all six entries of the Rocky franchise and directed three of those, discussions between Stallone and Jordan reached the conclusion that it was important that the film maintain the black point of view of the first. Coogler’s film worked so well because it didn’t feel like a cash-grab spin-off, but a deeply personal story of a young man trying to come to terms with his own legacy in the face of a father who abandoned him. Creed is steeped in blackness, and the Philadelphia it presented carried that identity in its bones, from locations, language, food, and music composed by frequent Coogler collaborator Ludwig Goransson, who returns to compose the sequel. From an aesthetic standpoint, Caple looks to have maintained a similar texture and perspective of the first film, even as the story looks to raise the stakes. Co-written by Stallone and Luke Cage showrunner Cheo Hodari Coker, the film sees Adonis Creed struggling to balance his personal life and his career as a boxer when the two collide as he faces his most personal opponent.

Adding a new wrinkle to Adonis’s questions of legacy is his and Bianca's (Tessa Thompson) newborn daughter. With Bianca trying to jumpstart her music career before she loses her hearing, and Adonis readying for his next fight, it will be interesting to see how they also balance the responsibilities of parenthood. As the byproduct of his father Apollo’s (Carl Weathers) affair, Adonis’ issues with abandonment drove the emotional beats of the first Creed. With a child of his own, perhaps the biggest question Adonis faces this time around is whether or not he can move past his father’s death in order to be there for his daughter and Bianca. As Rocky tells him, he’s got everything to lose.

Not only does Rocky Balboa, seemingly recovered from the cancer that almost took his life in the previous movie, have to confront Adonis as a mentor, but as a father-figure as well. The first film’s tagline “your legacy is more than a name” refers not only to the legacy of Apollo Creed but that of Rocky, and it’s a responsibility that is more than heavyweight titles and reputation. Apollo Creed died in Rocky’s arms after he faced Soviet prize boxer Ivan Drago (Dolph Lundgren), in the events of Rocky IV (1985) and Rocky has always felt responsible for it. In Creed II, he’s confronted with an opportunity to save Adonis where he failed to save his father when Drago resurfaces. Rocky has remained endearing, because he’s a lovable loser who takes the punches and wins for trying. But getting Adonis to turn away from the vengeance he seeks may be a battle that Rocky will lose.

The end of the teaser reveals who Adoni will be facing, Ivan Drago's son Viktor (Florian Munteanu), who may be just as brutal as his father, if not more so. Creed II is really digging its heels in on the Rocky IV connections, a film that a number of the franchise’s fans see as the point where the series veered off track. Despite the emotional gut-punch of Apollo’s death in that film, Rocky IV feels like an '80s pastiche where Rocky becomes more action hero than vulnerable human being. While not a bad film by any means, it is a film that sees Rocky’s defeat of Drago unite the U.S. and the Soviet Union before he's draped in an American flag while delivering a speech about humanity’s ability to change.
Rocky IV touched the realm of fantasy, but Creed II looks to maintain this new series’ grounded nature even when playing to nostalgia. This showdown between sons that Creed II is setting up as its main event seems authentic and tonally in line with the journey the previous film established. As long as Mr. T’s Clubber Lang doesn’t show up to set up the next film, then Adonis’ battle against Viktor is a necessary step in him becoming his own man and champion in a franchise that hopefully lasts as long as Rocky’s. “This is more than just a fight,” Adonis says and it is. This is the point where Creed as a character and as a franchise, will either fight its way out of the shadow of the past or be consumed by it. Either way, Creed II looks ready to pack a punch.

EDIT:
dolphlundgren
Check out the CR II teaser trailer. It was cool and strange at the same time to step into Ivan Drago’s shoes again. Pretty much a purely dramatic role this time. Just a bit of action... @officialslystallone @bignasty @michaelbjordan @tessamaethompson
Jox
Site Admin

Postby GeneralMcFaiL on 21 Jun 2018, 17:19

The teaser is trending #1 in the world right now.

Dolph is probably going to be in the 2 biggest movies of 2018. I hope we all can appreciate that.
"It's Jesus time!"
GeneralMcFaiL

Postby Jox on 22 Jun 2018, 01:12

I'm sadly surprised by some of the heat that this first trailer gets from some "die-hard" fans of 35-45 years old of age, some of them who also express animosity towards the character of Adonis Creed, which I find completely unjustified and childish... Are we supposed to go back and talk like in elementary school recess when we talk Stallone, Van Damme and co?

To me it makes it all the better that they don't give in with "fan service" with the CREED saga (which is intwined but not exactly part of the ROCKY saga -- CREED wasn't ROCKY VII and CREED II isn't ROCKY VIII or "ROCKY IV part II"!). Those who laments for the absence of a Survivor or Robert Teppert song are way off...!
Jox
Site Admin

Postby GeneralMcFaiL on 22 Jun 2018, 01:43

There are going to be some people who find this series to "blackish" . Well it's about god damn Apollo Creed's son. Nuff said. Honestly I feel like this movie has the potential to be a cultural shift. I know I'm a die hard dolphy but this couldn't have been a better teaser... I've already had several friends ask me if Drago was in this .... like really? HIs reveal might destroy the internet.
"It's Jesus time!"
GeneralMcFaiL

Postby Jox on 22 Jun 2018, 01:52

GeneralMcFaiL wrote:There are going to be some people who find this series to "blackish" .

I was just told that an hour ago, and it pissed me off, this is so WRONG (not to say other things) and even more so in today's climate.

And exactly, it's about APOLLO CREED'S SON damn it! "Duuuhh, hellooo?!..."

How can it not be the issues and identity crisis of a black man? How could it not be directed and co-written by a black director and black writer? (which was one thing Coogler and Jordan were right to push for on the sequel)

Some would like to make CREED all about Rocky (and we've seen that for six movies already)! :lol: :mrgreen:
Jox
Site Admin

Postby GeneralMcFaiL on 22 Jun 2018, 02:09

It's about Adonis. His journey. The first movie was fucking great with amazing characters and we get to have Dolph in a dramatic role for the next entry? Jox... Dolph is about to explode in popularity in 18. I know we crossed our fingers for the expendables but this is the real deal.
"It's Jesus time!"
GeneralMcFaiL

Postby Jox on 22 Jun 2018, 02:54

:lol:

For those who missed it:
CREED II (2018) & Flip Schulke's photograph "Ali Underwater", 1961

(More about the "Ali Underwater" photo series at www.aliunderwater.com)
Jox
Site Admin

Postby GeneralMcFaiL on 22 Jun 2018, 03:30

Jox I think this movie is gonna change minds. Watch.
"It's Jesus time!"
GeneralMcFaiL

Postby shooby on 22 Jun 2018, 12:32

GeneralMcFaiL wrote:The teaser is trending #1 in the world right now.

Dolph is probably going to be in the 2 biggest movies of 2018. I hope we all can appreciate that.

I think Aquaman could easily more open new doors like Creed 2 for him. With Creed 2, its always sly, with Aquaman, there is news faces, news actors and actress, new network that Dolph never had before
shooby

Postby Jox on 27 Jun 2018, 11:21

Dolph and Florian did a photo shoot for "Muscle & Fitness"
https://www.instagram.com/p/BkgnD0ng50T ... phlundgren

Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 02 Jul 2018, 12:33

officialslystallone
Last week in LA with my great old friend … We are Always ready to battle…#creed2

Jox
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Dolph's Movies