UNIVERSAL SOLDIER (Roland Emmerich, 1992)

An area for discussion of Dolph's past, present & future movies!

Moderator: Moderators

Re: UNIVERSAL SOLDIER (Roland Emmerich, 1992)

Postby Jox on 28 Sep 2018, 01:56

Since Studio Canal is realising 4K restorations of RAMBO I to III and CLIFFHANGER, I would not be surprised if we get UNIVERSAL SOLDIER in a near future... 8)
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 11 Oct 2018, 10:35

:shock:
A Re-Imagining of ‘Universal Soldier’ Is In The Works With Richard Wenk Set To Write The Script

During a interview with screenwriter Richard Wenk (‘The Equalizer’), he revealed that a re-imagining of ‘Universal Soldier’ is in the works with Todd Black and Jason Blumenthal set to produce the film. Although the original features two main characters, the re-imagining will only feature a sole soldier. The script is set to be turned in next week.
“I will say that I’m just finishing up a re-imagining — let’s be clear about this it’s not a remake and it is not a redo — but it is a re-imagining of a movie called ‘Universal Soldier’…very much like ‘The Equalizer,’ it’s the title that inspired me and not the movies… I’m just about to finish (the script) and turn it in this week.”

https://discussingfilm.wordpress.com/20 ... exclusive/

Full interview:

Wenk is the director of the Grace Jones-starring VAMP (1986) and one of the writers on THE EXPENDABLES 2...
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Moltisanti on 12 Oct 2018, 09:12

Don't care for the "let's be clear about this" tone in Wenk's description. It's fine to want to do something different with the premise but be a bit more diplomatic about the franchise you're trying to cash in on.
Moltisanti
Regular

Postby Jox on 12 Oct 2018, 10:42

Apparently if it gets made it would be produced by the guys behind the 2016 MAGNIFICENT SEVEN to give you an idea.
Jox
Site Admin

Postby lt.brannigan on 12 Oct 2018, 14:00

That was actually a pretty good western.
lt.brannigan

Postby Jox on 16 Oct 2018, 09:33

Rental promo trailer for video stores on the screener VHS, scored by Krom!

Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 21 Nov 2018, 13:48

Tiny Lister Jr on Dolph and JCVD

Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 10 Dec 2018, 17:38

Japanese video release promotional poster

Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 20 Dec 2018, 15:34

The Gratuitous B-Movie Column: Universal Soldier
https://411mania.com/movies/the-gratuit ... l-soldier/
Universal Soldier, directed by Roland Emmerich, is a movie that I’ve had a love/hate relationship with since I first saw it on opening weekend back in the summer of 1992. Despite being a fan of Jean-Claude Van Damme, I was outraged that Dolph Lundgren, the Punisher, was not only the bad guy but he also got his ass kicked by Van Damme in the movie. I couldn’t believe it. That was something that shouldn’t have happened. How the hell could the guy from Cyborg beat up Frank fucking Castle? It made no sense to me.

Dolph Lundgren goes full on unhinged as Andrew Scott, which is something he hadn’t done at that point in his career (and he really hasn’t been as unhinged since then). Lundgren is funny, in a wicked, dark humor kind of way, and terrifying when he’s screaming about “gook traitors” and how he has to take them all out. What sort of person was Andrew Scott before Vietnam? Was he a nice guy who was destroyed and then reformed in a bad way in Vietnam, or was he a guy who always had the propensity for sadistic violence and being in the jungle just amplified it? Perhaps that’s something that could be explored one day in a prequel? I’d like to know who Andrew Scott was before he went to Vietnam.
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 14 Jan 2019, 13:31

I believe this is an ad for the Japanese laserdisc release

Jox
Site Admin

Postby savagesketch on 18 Feb 2019, 23:15

Excellent video essay on the awesomeness that is 1992’s UNIVERSAL SOLDIER!!!

savagesketch

Postby Jox on 26 Feb 2019, 22:26

UK bundle VHS

Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 02 Mar 2019, 00:25

Jox wrote::shock:
A Re-Imagining of ‘Universal Soldier’ Is In The Works With Richard Wenk Set To Write The Script

During a interview with screenwriter Richard Wenk (‘The Equalizer’), he revealed that a re-imagining of ‘Universal Soldier’ is in the works with Todd Black and Jason Blumenthal set to produce the film. Although the original features two main characters, the re-imagining will only feature a sole soldier. The script is set to be turned in next week.
“I will say that I’m just finishing up a re-imagining — let’s be clear about this it’s not a remake and it is not a redo — but it is a re-imagining of a movie called ‘Universal Soldier’…very much like ‘The Equalizer,’ it’s the title that inspired me and not the movies… I’m just about to finish (the script) and turn it in this week.”

https://discussingfilm.wordpress.com/20 ... exclusive/

Full interview:

Wenk is the director of the Grace Jones-starring VAMP (1986) and one of the writers on THE EXPENDABLES 2...

EXCLUSIVE: ‘Kraven The Hunter’ Screenwriter Richard Wenk Talks About His Re-Imagining of ‘Universal Soldier’ and Hopes The Movie Will Begin Filming Later This Year
https://hnentertainment.co/exclusive-kr ... this-year/
HN: Something that you revealed last fall was a re-imagining of the Universal Soldier for [producers] Todd Black and Jason Blumenthal, can you give a status update on where that project is at?

WENK: “That [script] is basically almost finished, I will finish it the minute I’m finished with Kraven The Hunter and we’re super excited with the draft they have. I have to do some work on it before it becomes a real movie. I’m hoping that it’ll start shooting this year, end of this year.”

HN: That’s an interesting property because like you mentioned, it’s not going to be an exact remake of what had happened [previously in the original]. There are a lot of interesting angles that you can take it in this modern day-and-age with the idea of technology and the military is trying to advance weaponry. What is your angle on that, was it science-based, grounded or more fantastical, creating super-soldiers?

WENK: “Without giving too much away, I always like to approach things from a character point-of-view and then the character itself is grounded, our Universal Soldier would be grounded but you have to take into account that in a movie like this science has reached far beyond we’ve ever imagined and the idea of weaponizing a person, a human being, a soldier, a professional, it begets a lot of drama/excitement. The idea of whether a program like that could be used for good or bad. I think we’ve sort of found the right world to put it in. It’s really a re-imagining of the idea with all of those elements that you mention, are the elements that we decided it needs to have.”

“It’s not really science fiction, it’s science fact. It’s science five minutes in the future, you know DAPRA [The Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency] is way ahead of things we know about, a real soldier being transformed into a Universal Soldier and what that means, it’s really exciting. Again, it was a challenge, it wasn’t a world that I was used to but it’s a world I sort of embraced and especially with Jason Blumenthal, who loves the science of it all and the realism of it all. And we both agreed that this is not a science fiction movie this is a science fact movie. Technology is moving at such a rapid pace that we’re not stopping to ask ‘What happens when…?’. That’s sort of the approach to the movie and like I said it [the script] will be finished very soon and hopefully goes into production by the end of the year.”

(Note: Producers Jason Brumenthal and Todd Black are also behind the wheel of the MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE reboot)
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 09 Apr 2019, 01:58

UNISOL special from the publishers of CINE-NEWS (1985-1994), my favorite action movie magazine from France that always covered Sly, Arnold, Dolph, and Jean-Claude...

Jox
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Dolph's Movies