CREED II (Steven Caple, Jr., 2018)

An area for discussion of Dolph's past, present & future movies!

Moderator: Moderators

Re: CREED II (Steven Caple, Jr., 2018)

Postby Jox on 06 Jan 2019, 11:53

Short interview of cinematograher Kramer Morgenthau on digital & film for Arriflex cameras 100th anniversary
http://100.arri.com/interviews/filter/s ... sP6fO5gh8A

Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 07 Jan 2019, 14:01

Two steelbook Blu-ray and 4K Blu-ray in Germany (due May 29):

Jox
Site Admin

Postby Dawn on 07 Jan 2019, 15:58

I feel like a very good set would be Rocky IV/Creed II. Obviously, their needs to be a Creed/Creed II set.
But I think there is a very good argument for the Rocky IV/Creed II set at this point.
I have already heard so many complaints that there is too much Rocky in the Creed series, so this idea may not sit well. But I think these movies are better as an ensemble and these 2 movies fit together.

Now, I would not be opposed to a Drago spinoff.... :)
Dolph Aficionado
Dawn
Site Admin

Postby shooby on 07 Jan 2019, 17:50

A french analysis :
shooby

Postby Jox on 08 Jan 2019, 13:19

Last night I was at the Paris premiere of the prestigious landmark cinema Le Grand Rex with ROCKY IV + CREED II back to back. First time I'd seen ROCKY IV on the big screen (sadly a digital DCP or blu-ray, not 35mm print), the only theatrical DL film I'd missed in cinemas. The theatre was more packed than for AQUAMAN two weeks earlier (Rocky fans from all ages and genders alike)...

(a much larger screen would come down for the movies)
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Nathan on 08 Jan 2019, 14:06

Awesome!
"Are we having fun yet?" - Dolph Lundgren, Universal Soldier
Nathan
Regular

Postby bomaz on 09 Jan 2019, 20:27

Great movie, great script, great actors (Muntenau fills his own shoes, we'll have to keep an eye on him). I expected more DOlph, but hey, his presence is strong enough (maybve we'll get some deleted scenes on the BR). It was a thrill (and I admit that hearing Rocky theme in a theater gave me goosebumps).
I might even watch it again in theater (with less noisy and talkative youth audience that we have in France on day one for mostly every movie).
bomaz

Postby Jox on 10 Jan 2019, 01:24

bomaz wrote:I might even watch it again in theater (with less noisy and talkative youth audience that we have in France on day one for mostly every movie).

I'll go a second time for sure to form a better opinion, perhaps AQUAMAN as well.

The score will be pressed on a limited vinyl LP edition to be release February 22
https://www.musiconvinyl.com/catalog/or ... nsson#more
The talented Swedish composer Ludwig Göransson experimented with different techniques to create a grandiose composition. Hip-hop combined with a traditional string orchestra and even a hint of '70s jazz instrumentation as a nod to the original Creed film.

180 gram audiophile vinyl
PVC protective sleeve
Printed innersleeve
Contains a mini-poster + exclusive sticker sheet with pics from the movie
Secret inscriptions in run-out groove
Three Limited and numbered editions; 500 copies on red vinyl, 500 copies on white vinyl and 500 copies on blue vinyl
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 12 Jan 2019, 20:11

Japanese program

Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 13 Jan 2019, 21:51

CREED II vinyl 180g LP pre-order (other shops or ebay avail as well)
https://edsawesomesounds.com/products/c ... v-preorder
Three Limited and numbered editions; 500 copies on red vinyl, 500 copies on white vinyl and 500 copies on blue vinyl

Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 14 Jan 2019, 00:38

Legacy Blends Old and New
https://offscreenreviews.wordpress.com/ ... d-and-new/
You also have to give massive props to Lundgren who carries off Ivan’s character development and emotional climax with surprising grace.

In fact, cementing that bond to the past is the return of Dolph Lundgren as Ivan Drago, whose character famously killed Adonis’ father Apollo Creed with a blow to the head in “Rocky IV”. Drago’s still a cardboard villain, but Lundgren goes to great lengths to make the character into a pathetic, seething object of resentment. When he surfaces for a “Heat”-like face-off with Rocky at his cosy Philadelphia diner, there’s a genuine thrill to the level of anger Drago feels after living as a punchline for decades. “That’s like a million years ago!” Rocky counters. “But just yesterday to me,” Drago shoots back, as Viktor sulks nearby. The only element missing is the insane jingoism of that Reagan-era propaganda piece, which oddly doesn’t translate our paranoia over a Russian takeover with today’s deserved anxiety over the same – You picture Trump at a press conference: “Drago’s fine. He’s fine. We’re all fine.”

With the return of Sylvester Stallone and a new lead in Michael B. Jordan, it was an impressive movie that both paid homage to Rocky’s legacy and also brought to life a relevant story for a 21st-century audience. “Creed II” is very conscious of its characters’ pasts and connections, and therefore of its own place in the franchise, as the eighth instalment of a series that’s been running since 1976.

Which means you’re going to get what you expect from a Rocky movie, including training montages full of sweat, grunting and that iconic Rocky theme — and close-ups of bulging muscles. “Creed II” is aware that you can never really escape what you came from, always carrying what came before for better or worse. Happily, “Creed II” is one of the better Rockyinstalments, if not the best.

EDIT:
International box-office update
CREED II
WB/MGM’s Rocky spinoff sequel weighed in with $12.1M this frame in 43 markets for a running cume of $5.1M. France had a strong No. 1 opening of $5.8M on 514 screens to come in 33% higher than the original. Russia notched a No. 3 start behind two local titles, at $1.08M (+82% ahead of Creed). The Top 5 markets are the UK ($12.7M), Australia ($6.2M), France, Mexico ($5.1M) and China ($2.5M). Up next are Germany, Italy, Brazil and Spain.

https://deadline.com/2019/01/aquaman-cr ... 202534340/
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 15 Jan 2019, 12:47

Jox wrote:Japanese program

Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 17 Jan 2019, 03:16

It's official: the US video release will be available on Digital February 12 and on Blu-ray (Blu-ray + DVD + Digital HD combo) March 5.
www.creedthemovie.com/#preorder

SPECIAL FEATURES:
- Fathers & Sons
- Casting Viktor Drago
- The Women of CREED II
- The Rocky Legacy
- Deleted Scenes
Jox
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Dolph's Movies