JOHNNY MNEMONIC (Robert Longo, 1995)

An area for discussion of Dolph's past, present & future movies!

Moderator: Moderators

Re: JOHNNY MNEMONIC (Robert Longo, 1995)

Postby Jox on 27 Jul 2018, 13:19

In Defence of… Johnny Mnemonic (with Natasha Kermani) (director of IMITATION GIRL)
https://strongviolent.podbean.com/e/epi ... a-kermani/

Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 20 Oct 2018, 11:50

Advance screening postcard

Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 08 Nov 2018, 14:40

Innis Town Hall Presents — JOHNNY MNEMONIC Screening
November 9 @ 7:00 pm - 9:30 pm Free
(Toronto, Canada)
Innis Town Hall presents a FREE 35mm film screening of Robert Longo’s JOHNNY MNEMONIC (1995, 96min) on Friday November 9th at 7PM.

About the film:
A data courier, literally carrying a data package inside his head, must deliver it before he dies from the burden or is killed by the Yakuza.
Director: Robert Longo
Starring: Keanu Reeves, Dolph Lundgren, Dina Meyer
Short story and screenplay by William Gibson.

About the print:
This 35mm print has been generously loaned to us by the Media Commons Media Archive from their Alliance Atlantis Collection.

Innis Town Hall presents is a series of free screenings showcasing films on 35mm and digital cinema packages (DCP) curated by Innis Town Hall. All Innis Town Hall presents screenings are free and open to the public.

The VR helmet from the film:

Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 24 Nov 2018, 21:38

Croatian theatrical poster

Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 06 Feb 2019, 14:02

UK newspaper advert

VHS Arabic Version

Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 17 Feb 2019, 01:07

https://podcastingthemsoftly.com/2019/0 ... -mnemonic/
"Dolph Lundgren as an aggressive freak dubbed the Street Preacher, a platitude spouting baddie who is endlessly fun to watch and stands as one of the actor’s best and most idiosyncratic creations."

Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 05 Mar 2019, 17:29

Japanese promo poster for the video release (featuring Dolph/Street Preacher on bottom right)

Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 19 Apr 2019, 15:59

Tomorrow night at LA's Downtown Independent
https://downtownindependent.com/screeni ... pril-20th/

Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 21 May 2019, 20:32

One of the main producers who first launched JM at Carolco, Peter Hoffman, is convicted of tex fraud and facing up to 15 years in prison...
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr-e ... os-1212497
Peter Hoffman won't be saved by the Supreme Court. The veteran Hollywood producer is facing up to 15 years in prison after being convicted of defrauding Louisiana's tax program meant to incentivize local production. Hoffman's petition to the high court sought to address the sufficiency of evidence needed to convict as well as the ambiguity of the tax incentive application. His bid for review was supported by many retired federal judges and criminal defense lawyers, but without comment, the justices denied review in an order Monday.

From earlier this year:
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr-e ... on-1194761
Hoffman once ran a company called Carolco Pictures, which, before filing for bankruptcy, made such films as Total Recall, Terminator 2: Judgment Day and Basic Instinct. Back in the 1990s, Hoffman was put on trial after the feds investigated loans and tax avoidance. He beat the big charges and pled guilty to one misdemeanor charge of sending a false tax return to the IRS.

Hoffman would then go onto run Seven Arts Pictures, which had some modest hits including Rules of Engagement and The Believer, before he ran into another situation that newspapers down in New Orleans would dub the "Hollywood South" scandal.

In 2014, federal prosecutors charged Hoffman with wire fraud for submitting false expense reports on a Louisiana mansion being transformed into a postproduction facility. Hoffman did so to get $1.13 million in movie tax credits issued by Louisiana.
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 09 Jun 2019, 21:14

The home video promotional "metallic" poster got an award

Jox
Site Admin

Postby alex.sp89 on 10 Jun 2019, 00:08

I wished Dolph role to be much bigger ! I remember as a kid watching this movie I was expecting that at the end Keanu Reeves will have a big fight with Dolph (like Van Damme in UniSol) but unfortunately it never happen !!! To me the character of Street Preacher was very interesting and unusual, espec. for Dolph, but it wasn't developed at the maximum potential ! But idea was very good, and entire movie a pre Fifth Element (1997) prelude... Dolph character could be similar to Gary Oldman after some re-work on the character

Who knows maybe Luc Besson was a fan of Gibson stories since his youth...
alex.sp89

Postby Jox on 13 Aug 2019, 15:11

French lobby card

Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 01 Sep 2019, 19:47

Cyberpunk Cinema #2: Johnny Mnemonic (1995)
https://medium.com/@SchrodsEars/cyberpu ... 3c064b48a6

Cyberpunk: a genre of science fiction set in a lawless subculture of an oppressive society dominated by computer technology.

Here is a list of films I re-watch a lot in the vague hope that they will somehow be better: Prometheus, Southland Tales, The Cell, Skyline, The Crow: City of Angels, Escape from L.A. Top of that list however would probably be Johnny Mnemonic.

When word first came around that they were adapting cyberpunk godfather William Gibson’s short story from Burning Chrome for the screen, I was in absolute heaven. In my mid-teens I was immersed in William Gibson’s world, I read Neuromancer (very slowly) and Burning Chrome (very quickly) and loved Gibson’s portrayal of a world of criminality and corporate control in a world dominated by technology and the future of this thing they called ‘The Internet.’ I had also recently watched Ridley Scott’s Blade Runner for the first time so I wanted to see more of that.

The film adaptation of the short had gone through a few incarnations at that time. Val Kilmer had been attached to the part and it was intended to be a lower budget and more artful piece initially with something to say about memory. Gibson had written the screenplay himself and then red hot thanks to Speed, Keanu Reeves was signed on to play Johnny. The rest of the cast was filled out with the eclectic likes of Dolph Lundgren, Henry Rollins, Ice-T, Dina Meyer, Udo Kier and Takeshi Kitano. Visual artist and first time feature director Robert Longo was the one in the director’s chair. An initial trailer shown on morning television fired up my brain and for pretty much the entirety of 1995 I was amped for this film in a way that I hadn’t been for anything since Twin Peaks: Fire Walk with Me. It didn’t help me none that all the previews and predictions were saying this was going to be the new Blade Runner. So May 1995 rolls around, Johnny Mnemonic dies at the US box office and is the subject of poisonous reviews. In the U.K I would have to wait until February 1996 to finally see the damn thing.

(...)
The word is that something happened between this projects inception and Keanu signing on for the part. Basically studio Tri-Star wanted to capitalise on the success of Speed and wanted another Keanu starring action movie, and why not? It makes sense from a business point of view. The film was then recut by the studio for domestic release so the rather clever junkie cyber dolphin is excised in favour of a random dolphin with a virtual reality helmet and a lot of the character stuff with Johnny being kind of a prick is dropped along with the memory stuff in favour of your bog standard action hero performance. The Japanese got an admittedly superior cut of the film; with some of this stuff back in an additional fifteen minutes and an alternate superior score. Mostly though the alternate footage gives Takeshi Kitano more screen time and his wallowing in memories of his dead daughter is an interesting counterpoint to our hero — a man who has had this capacity removed. The Japanese version certainly has better performances and the edit is more relaxed somehow, the world feeling bigger than the claustrophobic western edit. Though it is better overall, the longer cut has the same problems that the domestic version has and what it really comes down to is this — Robert Longo is not an action or performance director.

Johnny Mnemonic the film is, at least visually, William Gibson’s world brought to life. The production design is cool; it’s all sleek hotel lobbies and nightclubs mixed with a more underground scene of disused tech and street cybernetic implants. The internet as it is shown here is something that may yet come to pass if this current VR fad takes off. The problem is that within this world we are weighed down by bad performances and worse set pieces. Keanu tries his best but when he tries some of the heavy lifting of Johnny discovering his humanity he just gives birth to the infamous ‘I want room service!’ speech. Dina Meyer is spunky but given nothing to work with and you get a bog standard Ice-T freedom fighter performance. It’s only really Dolph Lundgren and Henry Rollins who are any good, but even they flounder when not given any direction from a director who should have learned what a performance is. The film is filled with Longo fluffing potentially pulse quickening action scenes; everything feels like cardboard just being moved around marks on a set. A scene where a cybernetic Dolph is run over by a van is utterly laughable and definitive proof that Longo was ill suited for this task.

Johnny Mnemonic is to Blade Runner what Ultraviolet is to The Matrix, a film loaded with potential that looks nice that was ruined thanks to some bad decisions early on. It has a cool soundtrack though and the Japanese cut is worth a look if you haven’t seen this for a while though it has dated badly. Just from the alternate opening of the longer version you can tell there was massive potential here. Longo never directed another feature, and apart from the little seen New Rose Hotel we never got another worthwhile William Gibson based movie. It sucks because Gibson’s world is a rich one with as much potential as the endless adaptations of Philip K.Dick stories. I guess we will have to wait for that Neuromancer adaptation to churn its way out of development hell.
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 23 Nov 2019, 21:54

35mm screening on December 7 at Seattle's Northwest Film Forum as part of a weekend-long cycle titled "Paranoid Data"
https://nwfilmforum.org/films/paranoid- ... -mnemonic/

Jox
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Dolph's Movies