THE PUNISHER (Mark Goldblatt, 1989)

An area for discussion of Dolph's past, present & future movies!

Moderator: Moderators

Re: THE PUNISHER (Mark Goldblatt, 1989)

Postby alex.sp89 on 15 Jun 2019, 17:11

Did diabolik video guys restored the entire unrated print or just those small unrated frames in HD !
Or it is the same HD inserted (unrated shots) version released by Koch Media few years ago.

To be honest I own that copy and I can say that those HD restored Unrated shots look muck better than the rest R rated restored version. Palette color , saturation in those shots are much, much, better... I wish the entire movie to be the same. I din't know who own the rights for The Punisher (1989) right now but it looks they use the same print (playing just a bit with color levels) and release it in different countries under different company names... Tricks and no new restoration at all... Is it so hard to scan it once again after 10-12 years from previous scanning and bring it to the right treat ?

Or I don't know is it possible to restore the workprint in HD ? Goldblatt ows just a tape of this workprint or has a cinema footage workprint in his vaults ?

I noticed in the past few years some blu ray got wrong color saturation, black color look wash up (looks more grey). For example the same problem have MGM blu ray release of Double Impact from 2012. Recently MVD corrected that issue and it looks just brilliant...
alex.sp89

Postby Jox on 21 Jun 2019, 12:54

alex.sp89 wrote:Did diabolik video guys restored the entire unrated print or just those small unrated frames in HD !
Or it is the same HD inserted (unrated shots) version released by Koch Media few years ago.

Diabolik is just a the online retailer, many US-based cinephiles use them to import international editions.

8-Films did that limited edition for a German convention licensing the Koch Media HD-restored uncut master. That master had been made using an old French 35mm print for the unrated shots and the R-rated master that Fox is providing to all the distributors.

To be honest I own that copy and I can say that those HD restored Unrated shots look muck better than the rest R rated restored version. Palette color , saturation in those shots are much, much, better... I wish the entire movie to be the same.

Having seen the movie in 35mm again last year, I can tell you the blu-ray is almost identical to how the movie looks on film. It was never a very saturated film, and so in comparison the uncut inserts may look richer but they do not conform to the film, too "green" and not from a pristine source print in my opinion.

I din't know who own the rights for The Punisher (1989) right now but it looks they use the same print (playing just a bit with color levels) and release it in different countries under different company names... Tricks and no new restoration at all... Is it so hard to scan it once again after 10-12 years from previous scanning and bring it to the right treat ?

Yeah, Fox owns the worldwide rights now, they sell their own master and from my understanding they can be nitpicking with what distributors do, maybe it's even in their contract they must use their master. Plus it's very expensive to produce a new HD scan, either their too small to afford it or they deem it's not a title they can allow that budget to. There also seems to be rarity of elements remaining to work from, some having either disappeared from the radars or being lost, destroyed over the years.

Or I don't know is it possible to restore the workprint in HD ? Goldblatt ows just a tape of this workprint or has a cinema footage workprint in his vaults ?

There's no film print left of the workprint (which is rarely the case being what it is, a "work print" thus a work in progress until it no longer is) which is likely how and why Goldblatt made sure to keep a record of it...

I noticed in the past few years some blu ray got wrong color saturation, black color look wash up (looks more grey). For example the same problem have MGM blu ray release of Double Impact from 2012. Recently MVD corrected that issue and it looks just brilliant...

Indeed some companies sometimes overkill some of their releases by tweaking the color grading of the films, Warner is infamous for that for instance if you look at their MAD MAX 1 & 2 or MOTU). There are conflicting approaches, one being to present the films as they were originally, the other being to hide their "age" by making them look more contemporary than they are. The latest controversy in that matter is in regards to the adding of new sound effects on the new BATMAN '89 4K edition because sound post on the film had been rushed to make the release date back then...
Jox
Site Admin

Postby alex.sp89 on 21 Jun 2019, 20:43

Jox u are right about some companies ! But a little bit more colors for Punisher will be great- not a lot, just a bit. First Blu Ray Editions have more colors, but after that diff. companies started to play with them in regress , looking very washed up. For example “flesh” colors are pale - no life, Franco office walls are very grey and pale (DVD used some green filter and looks great to me) and that red filter in the red fight room at the end very washed up (again in DVD red color look very natural).

Another two things need to get fixed. FOX please:
1) Restore the New World Picture logo looks so bad all in scratches.
2) Stabilize the beginning and the end titles- they are playing ‘swimming” all the time it is annoying. End titles are not even straight – they are under some low angle.

Mark Goldblatt and New World Pictures have bad luck in their restoration titles. Goldblatt directorial debut movie “Dead Heat” has one of the worst Blu Ray transfers ever (along with Mel Gibson’s “Attack Force Z”(1982) first BD Edition). Rutger Hauer “Wanted Dead or Alive” made again by New World Pictures had a bad treat in German Blu Ray.

We don’t wan’t that “green” filter in the entire movie for Punisher like James Cameron is doing now for Terminator 1-2 and Titanic re-release it looks excessive. About deleting and fixing the goofs I think I a good thing. Crew members, lights in the background, microphone, wires, stuntdouble face instead of Arnold in some shots are good improvements. In this Digital Century with 4K-8K TVs, big screens is allowed to do so. Back in time small TVs, tapes u even couldn’t see background details.

About Warner it is true they are messing some times with transfers. Showdown in Little Tokyo (1991) have always this problems: Dvd too bright like a TV movie, Blu ray use “yellow” filter, color saturation problem. HD TVrip looks great again. I compared DVD and Blu Ray for SILT. Honestly I didn’t see any “deep” scanning improvements- the same as dvd, just adding new “yellow” filter and zoomed some shots to cover goofs (Kenner’s jump equipment, dummy, in the car, guy with the extinguisher and some crew member T-shirt sleeve seen when camera is moving in some shots)… I think WB don't want to spent $$$ on this Box flops titles

Anyway transfers made by big movie companies at the most of the time look good. For example u can compare Van Damme CYBORG (1989) - MGM /Paramount HD transfers are great, when Shoot Factory released a Collector's Edition of it last year transfer was good too but it wasn't at the same level as MGM. If u look at them separately without knowing that there is another release both are great transfers, but when u compare u see difference from the first shot. Or Cobra (1986) - WB vs Shoot Factory. SF strong side are always the Special Features..

I was wondering how will Dark Angel (1990) will look like if the transfer will be made by MGM or another big company (not Kino Lorber). Again more color and better scanning...
alex.sp89

Postby Jox on 29 Jun 2019, 14:25

Alex.sp89, I haven't got around to respond yet but will try to soon.

Sad news: Australia-based British actor Bryan Marshall who played Dino Moretti just passed away :cry:

Bryan Marshall Dies: ‘The Spy Who Loved Me’, ‘Neighbours’ Actor Was 81
https://deadline.com/2019/06/bryan-mars ... 202638556/

Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 05 Jul 2019, 22:05

This is an actual cover from South Africa :shock:

Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 16 Jul 2019, 10:09

:oops: 8)
Inouille Doudouille @inouille

Première lecture estivale terminée. Pour ceux qui se sont interrogés comme moi sur les raisons de leur fascination pour le film de Goldblatt, cet ouvrage de @punisher_book apporte un éclairage aussi exhaustif que passionnant sur une curiosité d'époque peut-être sortie trop tôt.

Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 17 Jul 2019, 17:28

Portuguese advert

Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 20 Jul 2019, 13:35

The Limited Mediabook with Laurent Melki's cover art is now available from Amazon
www.amazon.de/Punisher-Blu-ray-Limited- ... B07TKNGML6

Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 25 Jul 2019, 23:14

Forthcoming October issue cover

Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 06 Aug 2019, 14:17

Two upcoming screening in 35mm (uncut version) this August from Alamo Drafthouse!

August 12 in New York's Yonkers
https://drafthouse.com/yonkers/show/mon ... e-punisher
https://www.facebook.com/events/alamo-d ... 583143045/
30th Anniversary Screening

Rare 35mm print courtesy of the Academy Film Archive

Punisher comics writer Matt Rosenberg in person for Q&A

Only the second feature film based on a Marvel property (following HOWARD THE DUCK), 1989's THE PUNISHER owes as much to its source material as it does the ultra-violent action movies of the 1980s. Starring Dolph Lundgren (in only his third starring role) as the vigilante Frank Castle who sees fit to take on both the Mafia and the Yakuza in his pursuit to rid the city of crime. Directed by prominent editor and DEAD HEAT director Mark Goldblatt, THE PUNISHER would not reach nearly the critical or commercial success as BATMAN in the same year but it's hard to ignore its decidedly lo-fi approach to its source material thirty years later as well as its non-stop barrage of gruesome R-rated action, which required cuts to secure an R rating in the US.

August 25 at Austin's Ritz
https://drafthouse.com/austin/show/fist ... isher-1989
https://www.facebook.com/events/2300868036696267/
JUSTICE WITH A VENGEANCE

Experience the explosions, the slick city streets, the explosions, the ninjas, the explosions, the epic 80's fashions, the explosions, the machine guns, and the explosions build up to a deliciously dark conclusion on glorious 35mm!

ABOUT

Before the Marvel Cinematic Universe dominated media, Mark Goldblatt (director of the most underrated action-horror-comedy of all time, DEAD HEAT) brought THE PUNISHER to life in a pitch black, leather clad, scuzzy universe of its own. Played beautifully by the legendary Dolph Lundgren, the emotionally broken anti-hero spends his days in the sewer like a fifth depressed Ninja Turtle, emerging only to anonymously murder mafia members. Unfortunately for him, his vigilante activities have attracted the attention of Yakuza crime boss Lady Tanaka (Kim Miyori). Can he overcome his traumatic past and beat the Yakuza with the help of his trusty friend Jake (Louis Gossett Jr.)?
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 19 Aug 2019, 14:32

“I can’t even believe I’m gonna make a Marvel argument, but there’s only one Punisher in the history of that entire franchise that has been worthy with the acting, the physique, and the skill, and that’s Dolph Lundgren,”

:mrgreen:

PS: this is sponsored and maybe even starring Freddie Prinze Jr.
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 21 Aug 2019, 18:37

MAD MAX' George Miller remembering costume and production designer Norma Moriceau (1944-2016)

Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 27 Aug 2019, 09:27

Disappointingly Austin's was not in 35mm...

Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 29 Aug 2019, 12:18

Just out, here is an audio sample of my book intro at the end of this Reel Comic Heroes podcast episode !

:arrow: Skip forward to 1:31:45 to listen to my words as read by host Travis Bow.

Jox
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Dolph's Movies