CREED II (Steven Caple, Jr., 2018)

An area for discussion of Dolph's past, present & future movies!

Moderator: Moderators

Re: CREED II (Steven Caple, Jr., 2018)

Postby Jox on 20 Mar 2019, 22:22

I had anticipated what to expect from the short featurettes, but it's really disappointing this title did not benefit longer, serious special features, at least an audio commentary or an in-depth making of...
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 22 Mar 2019, 02:28

4K UHD REVIEW (The Digital Bits)
http://thedigitalbits.com/item/creed-2-uhd-bd
Creed II was filmed in the ARRIRAW codec using ARRI Alexa Mini and XT cameras, with Panavision Primo and Zeiss Master Prime lenses in a 2.39:1 aspect ratio. The printed format is Digital Intermediate (finished at 2K), which makes it a knockout release in upsampled 4K. Detail and texturing are very good; there’s not a reference amount of detail here, but every bit of what’s in the DI is visible. Colors are robust and nuanced in HDR10 High Dynamic Range (it’s also available here in Dolby Vision, which I am not a fan of). Contrast is excellent with deep blacks and bright, natural highlights.

The real winner here is the Dolby Atmos surround sound. Depending on your audio system, watching Creed II feels like you’re sitting ringside as Creed and Drago slug it out; the crowd atmosphere and bone-crunching punches can be heard all around you. Bass is deep, dialogue is clear, and Ludwig Göransson’s score is staged with great fidelity. This is essentially a reference-quality audio mix, especially for a film like this. Additional audio options include English 5.1 DTS-HD MA (the default option, so be sure to switch to the Atmos if you can), English Descriptive Audio (US and UK), and French and Latin Spanish 5.1 Dolby Digital. Optional subtitles include English for the Hearing Impaired, French, Latin Spanish, Danish, Norwegian, and Swedish.

The 4K disc itself has no extras, but the package includes the film in 1080p on Blu-ray. It adds a handful featurettes that might please fans:

Fathers and Sons (7:16)
Casting Viktor Drago (5:43)
The Women of Creed II (5:51)
The Rocky Legacy (15:01)
Deleted Scenes (9:46)
Shazam! preview trailer (2:28)
Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald preview trailer (3:26)
Fighting with My Family preview trailer (2:32)

The Rocky Legacy is the highlight, but it should be a feature-length film considering this is technically the 8th film in the Rocky Balboa franchise. Rocky’s story is a legacy, not a mere featurette. It’s pretty apparent movies don’t come with as many extra features as they did ten years ago, so they need to count. These are good. Not great, but good. The best of the rest is a collection of deleted scenes – nearly ten minutes worth, mostly character moments. The final one is a nice acknowledgment between these characters that longtime Rocky fans will appreciate. You also get a Digital code on a paper insert (but it’s not Movies Anywhere).

Creed II is an excellent sequel because it delivers unadulterated adrenaline, excitement, and fear. Warner’s 4K release offers the film in better-than-theatrical video quality and reference sound. If you’re a fan of the original Creed, (and you should be) or the Rocky franchise as a whole, this one is worth having in Ultra HD.
Jox
Site Admin

Postby savagesketch on 23 Mar 2019, 16:22

Yours truly was invited on the Piecing It Together podcast to discuss CREED II!

https://www.piecingpod.com/2019/03/15/c ... an-malloy/

On Piecing It Together, David Rosen (the host) and a guest chat a new release and discuss the other films that may have partially inspired it! This was a fun discussion!
savagesketch

Postby Jox on 28 Mar 2019, 02:02

That was original!

4K review from AVForums
https://www.avforums.com/review/creed-i ... view.15993
4K Picture
Creed II comes to UK Ultra HD Blu-ray courtesy of Warner, who offer up what appears to be the exact same solid 4K disc that their US release was afforded, with the digitally shot footage - captured at resolutions of over 2K but capped at 2K nonetheless by the Digital Intermediate - looking frequently impressive and certainly faithful to the style of the boxing drama.

The disc presents a native 3840 x 2160p resolution image utilising the film's original theatrical aspect ratio of widescreen 2.40:1. It uses 10-bit video depth, a Wide Colour Gamut (WCG) and High Dynamic Range (HDR), as well as Dolby Vision, and is encoded using the HEVC (H.265) codec.

We reviewed the UK Ultra HD Blu-ray release of Creed II on an LG 55B7 Dolby Vision 4K Ultra HD OLED TV with an LG UP970 Dolby Vision 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray player.

The 2K-upscaled video presentation still affords a nominal uptick in detail, firming up the clarity and resolving textures and finer flourishes on clothing, skin and hair. Indeed, the broader shots of the boxing arenas are amidst the most impressive, providing better detailing of the crowds, whilst also bringing out the best in the colour palette - which is, as always, where the real improvements lie. WCG and HDR do the heavy lifting, but Dolby Vision is the icing on the cake, allowing the arena sequences to be bathed in a multitude of vibrant, vivid primaries, with further highlights afforded by the boxing outfits. It's not always this glorious, and Creed II does sometimes ride a more subdued tone in terms of style, particularly when it takes to the streets (where lighting does Stallone's makeup no favours) or the dusty training rooms, but it enjoys some surprise training location choices that liven things up and, beyond that, the main bouts are more than enough to provide some near-demo excellence.

4K Sound
The 4K disc provides a full High Definition 3D Object-based audio mix in the form of a superb Dolby Atmos track (although be sure to select it; the disc strangely defaults to DTS-HD MA 5.1) which lands every punch and produces some staggeringly impressive ring-side immersion, crafting a fantastic atmosphere that really draws you into the highs and lows of the boxing drama.

Dialogue remains well-prioritised, afforded clarity and precision throughout, largely dominating the frontal array where necessary, whilst effects are superbly realised during the fight sequences, affording directionality - and impact - to every punishing blow. It's not just about the punches, however, with keen observation levelled at bringing the stage to life, as crowds roar and cheer in your very living room, and the engaging score - defined by some strong song tracks following suit from Creed, a few standout live performances, and the memorable orchestral theme itself - sweeps you up and carries you away. It's a wonderfully immersive track, whose bigger moments will give your system a good workout, remaining demo and reference through and through.

Extras
The small selection of solid but unexceptional extra features provide some nice background into the production, unfortunately relegated to the accompanying Blu-ray disc when they could have easily been ported across.

A quartet of largely interview-dominated Featurettes range in length from 5-15 minutes, and look at the Father-Son themes, the casting of the main antagonist, the main female roles in the movie and the ongoing Rocky legacy, with a further 10 minutes of Deleted Scenes rounding out the package.

Verdict
Fans of both the first movie, and the larger Rocky franchise will find this a worthy addition well worth picking up

Creed II makes for a pretty damn impressive 4K package, replete with Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos, the latter of which really lands the punches in this solid sequel. Fans of both the first movie, and the larger Rocky franchise will find this a worthy addition - and a worthy edition - well worth picking up.
The Rundown

Movie 7
Picture Quality 8
Sound Quality 10
Extras 6
Overall 8
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 29 Mar 2019, 17:40

CREED II was pulled from the last 8 remaining US screens after March 21 with a total of $115,715,889 gross (approx $6 million above the first CREED).

The worldwide total count is currently at $213,915,889 (approx $40 million above CREED I) .
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 15 Apr 2019, 11:54

Production designer Franco G. Carbone on the set for a deleted scene:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BwP0v6sgFia/
Glowing water walls for a Vegas Night club set. The scene was cut out of CREED II. That is was happens routinely in the life of a Production Designer. :(

Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 11 May 2019, 19:04

In Japanese stores now

Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 02 Jun 2019, 17:56

French Futurepak only available when you buy the movie from Auchan supermarkets
https://www.auchan.fr/creed-2-blu-ray-b ... -cl1114728

Jox
Site Admin

Postby bomaz on 02 Jun 2019, 18:18

I bought mine, and I didn't seem to find Dolph vs Sly fight on the cut / deleted scenes (but I might have not understood well). But there's a very good "after" match sequence (and it's a bit of a shame that it didn't make the final cut).
bomaz

Postby Jox on 02 Jun 2019, 19:12

bomaz wrote:I bought mine, and I didn't seem to find Dolph vs Sly fight on the cut / deleted scenes (but I might have not understood well).

It's not been included anywhere...
Jox
Site Admin

Postby bomaz on 02 Jun 2019, 19:30

Oh, okay, my bad then :wink:
bomaz

Postby Jox on 23 Jul 2019, 22:40

Typical Sly, barely half a year after announcing the end of Rocky for him, he's plotting a new movie (and a TV how prequel)
https://variety.com/2019/film/features/ ... 203275639/
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 09 Sep 2019, 10:43

Michael B. Jordan Got an Offer to Direct 'Creed III' If and When It Happens
https://www.menshealth.com/entertainmen ... t-creed-3/
"I promised Michael B. Jordan that he’d get his chance to direct Creed III," Winkler wrote in A Life in Movies: Stories From 50 Years in Hollywood, adding: "Last year in a conversation with our Creed star Michael B. Jordan, I offered him the opportunity to not only star in, but also to direct Creed III."
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 18 Oct 2019, 00:59

The Hollywood Reporter 100: The Most Powerful People in Entertainment 2019
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/lists ... nt-1246527
66/100 Michael B. Jordan
Actor-Producer

Actors can sometimes convince studios to take on bold new projects. But Jordan, 32, persuaded WarnerMedia to launch an entirely new policy — centered on inclusion — and the first film made under it, Just Mercy (Jordan produced and stars), is a likely awards contender. He signed first-look deals this year for his Outlier Society banner with Warner Bros. (film) and Amazon (TV) and started shooting 2020's Without Remorse for Paramount.
Jox
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Dolph's Movies