Facing the Dolph fact

An area for discussion of Dolph's past, present & future movies!

Moderator: Moderators

Facing the Dolph fact

Postby drago on 11 Feb 2004, 14:59

Dolph sucks as an actor.but when it comes to action he is great i think all his films need is a good buget and a good script.bridge of dragons and sweepers were total crap.the peacekeeper was good,Rocky iv was good but that was a Stallone movie also Universal Soldier was great i liked Dolph in that but it wasnt his movie.Im only being realistic.Dolph movies are getting worse the bugets are getting smaller the scripts are getting worse.
patrick mulholland
drago

Postby katanah2jbrm on 11 Feb 2004, 21:45

Dolph is a great actor. Especially when you compare him against other action movie stars.He is easlily the best. Just compare his first movie roles to his newest it is a complete transformation. So why don't you talk about something that you know something about. Also detention and direct action had a larger budget then hidden agenda and a couple of other of dolphs films. If you know anything about low budget film makeing it is not the films budget that determines the films quality. But it is the dedication put in by everyone involved in the project. Detention was a film made for a paycheck, no one in the cast or crew was hungry.
Time can not die Only people
katanah2jbrm

facing the dolph fact

Postby drago on 12 Feb 2004, 13:30

In Stormcather when the dolph and his family are trapped in the house and the swat team are jumping through the windows did u notice the silencer on the gun is wobbeling.now dont u think the directer would take out that scene or re-shoot it.no nobody cared even dolph didnt care as long as he got his paypacket.The final scene in Sweepers was stupid the landmine blows up about three foot away from dolph the hole train blows up from the opposite direction its not thaught out.Dolph should have watched more Stallone movies he is the king of action also he can act COPLAND and ROCKY 1.ill admit Dolph is underated but not that much
patrick mulholland
drago

Re: facing the dolph fact

Postby Dawn on 12 Feb 2004, 18:15

drago wrote:The final scene in Sweepers was stupid the landmine blows up about three foot away from dolph the hole train blows up from the opposite direction its not thaught out.Dolph should have watched more Stallone movies he is the king of action also he can act COPLAND and ROCKY 1.ill admit Dolph is underated but not that much

You need to also keep in mind that Dolph did not write these scripts and revisions have taken place since he initially signed on and read the original script. It seems to be that the projects he signs on for are very different in the beginning than the original scripts. Unless he is director, he doesn't have control over that and as for the scenes being bad? Well, that is controlled by the director, so I don't think it fair to call Dolph bad or not as good as Stallone. Dolph has chosen to be outside Hollywood to spend more time with family and as a result, I think the projects will be lower budget and not what we always expect. But this doesn't mean he isn't of Stallone's or anyone elses' caliber.
Dolph Aficionado
Dawn
Site Admin

Postby katanah2jbrm on 13 Feb 2004, 01:08

All right drago I'll take it that you have no fucking clue how much work goes into making a film. I myself have worked on four films, granted thier ultra lowbudget but hey i'm just starting my career off. Anyway the director of stormcatcher or any film for that matter knows every single mistake that is in the film. However films like stormcatcher are shot in less than one months time, and even less sometimes. In films like stormcatcher where your budget is based off of foreign sales the money goes into a bank account and the bank gives you a shooting schedule and the amount of time you can spend on certain scenes. If you fall behind schedule there is always the danger that they can and will replace you as director. So you see the director is limited to the amount of shots he can take and spend on each scene. Also the director really doesn't have time to have extensive reshoots. And also the exploding train and the majority of the other stuff you mentioned do not directly involve dolph acting abilty but nor the directors compentance rather the budget of the picture. And I love Stallone.
katanah2jbrm

Postby Dawn on 13 Feb 2004, 06:20

^^ Good post. I am also a Stallone fan, however the Rocky films are not my favorites. I really like Assassins. I even liked Oscar and Stop! or my mom will shoot. I think he does comedy pretty well. :)
Dolph Aficionado
Dawn
Site Admin

facing the dolph fact

Postby drago on 13 Feb 2004, 14:20

im sorry if it came across if i was blaming dolph for the flaws in his movies i wasnt.But i spend 28euro on stormcather and 20euro on sweepers and i just dont think its value for money when i can get the rocky collection/rambo trilogy for 35 and i know ill get perfection.I think Dolph should get more script control.also detentions budget was bigger than hidden agenda because hidden agenda is more talking not men getting shot every two minutes
patrick mulholland
drago

Postby Dawn on 13 Feb 2004, 16:06

20 Euros for Stormcatcher! Ouch! Stormcatcher is now only $5-U.S. here. I think script control is why he is now directing. ;)
Dolph Aficionado
Dawn
Site Admin

Postby Tom on 14 Feb 2004, 02:38

I can agree that Dolph isn't the greatest thespian in the world, anyone can see that. Then again you have to say none of the action stars are great actors. Most critics would say that Sly Stallone and Eric Roberts for example are two of the worst actors to ever be nominated for an Oscar. You have to kind of agree with a statement like that but they are still good actors on their day. Dolph is a better actor at this stage of his career than many other action stars above him, like Van Damme, Seagal, Paul Walker.

The thing with low budget movies, particularly action movies that almost operate in a kind of Hollywood studio system, of money before artistry, rather than independant films trying to be quality. Look for example at Bubba Ho-Tep, a recent an very good low budget flick from Bruce Campbell who has been doing a similar standard of B-movies to Dolph (With the odd cameo in big films.). That was independant, original and stood out. Theres no reaseon that Dolph can't do that, we hope. It won't happen working for the likes of NU IMAGE, who although spend good amounts of money, don't concentrate much on comedy.

Dolphs best film recently was Hidden Agenda, the script wasn't an original idea by any means but it changed enough and kept enough originality to be interesting. Not just typical action. It was a mystery thriller that was not about who done it but more about why. Also having no real main bad guy was a step away for Dolph.

I hope Dolph tries to work with more independant film companies, or typical independant companies, but it would mean dropping pay. It depends on how much his art means to him compared to the money.

Sly is a classic example. Through the mid 90's+ he has been very well paid for a string of critical flops, that wasted his talent. He then dropped from 25 million a film to receive only $15,000 for Copland. I don't think the budgets matter too much. You do need a minimum unless he works on a fantastic script and hot new director.

A good example of a film on a micro budget is Christopher Nolans THe Following, shot for £6,000 but the script was really good, it was interesting, had a great score and wasn't effected by not having proffesional actors. Dolph unfortunately has had a severe lack of talent around him on the most part, hence his recent films are not as good as his first films.
Tom
Regular

Postby katanah2jbrm on 14 Feb 2004, 09:49

I agree with you Tom on everything you said execept for Sly and Eric Roberts being the worst actors ever nominated and Paul Walker is not a action movie star. See most of the greatest films of all time have been action movies or had intense action sequences in them. Some critics thumb thier nose at action movies not realizing that to make a action movie is more difficult than to make a drama. With a drama the director just needs to get out of the way and film, not much to it. Academy award winning director William Friedkin says car chases and fights scenes are the hardest things to film effectivly. It is true that Eric Roberts and Stallone have both made some films that were critically panned however they have also made films that critics loved. However the gap between thier critically accliamed movies is to far a gap for the most small minded movie critic. However the have been known to rise to the accation and belt out great performances when given the chance. Roberts last movie in which he garned accliam for was La Cucaracha and it got eric really good reviews. However as I said before the gap between his quality work does leave more to be desired. but just because a actor does not work within Hollywood does not mean he is a bad actor remember Anna Paquin won a acdemy award and she is a can't even keep a southern accent throughour a entire movie. Also every so called great actor or director has been in bad films. And I am to tired right now to have a extensive list of great films that had action scenes. The French Connection, To Live and Die in L.A., Raging Bull, Rocky, Hero(Jet Li's), Lord of the Rings(all of em), Gladiator(won best pic and actor), The Wild Bunch, High Noon, Yojimbo, Rashomon.
katanah2jbrm

Postby njonesky102 on 30 Apr 2004, 02:08

Drago, I would have to strongly disagree with you on the subject of Dolph's movies. Yeah ok there is some room for improvement but no one is perfect and all films have their flaws. I think Dolph is a good actor but we don't get to see him at his full potential because of the scripts. He has great acting ability andn his films are getting slowly better due to him having more input on projects.
Kjones
njonesky102

Postby Mosquito on 30 Apr 2004, 10:45

Didn't he have a lot of input on Pentathlon? Yet it was one of his worst movies, imho.
Mosquito
Site Admin

Postby Celebrimbor of Dorthonion on 17 Jun 2004, 21:28

I don't have seen much movies with Dolph (yet) but I think he is a good actor. My favorit movie is Blackjack 8) And in this movie he proofs he can act very well, and that he can do more than being good in fighting.

C.o.D.
Celebrimbor of Dorthonion

Postby Terminator on 17 Jun 2004, 21:51

Yeah, 8)
I think it's because of the scripts... maybe he won't be as good as Arnie with his pile of (great!) movies, but he can do "magic" in acting abilities!
In hope for someone who could replace the real Dolph one day if he's (hopefully not as soon) out of business...
Terminator
Regular

Postby Terminator on 18 Jun 2004, 20:54

Yeah, definitely Jack Nickolson was familiar after having played a role in "One flew over the cocoo's nest" (sounds very German...) but Dolph wouldn't make such a movie... BTW: Has he already one or a few oscars??
In hope for someone who could replace the real Dolph one day if he's (hopefully not as soon) out of business...
Terminator
Regular

Next

Return to Dolph's Movies