MINIONS: THE RISE OF GRU (Kyle Balda, Ableson;del Val, 2020)

An area for discussion of Dolph's past, present & future movies!

Moderator: Moderators

MINIONS: THE RISE OF GRU (Kyle Balda, Ableson;del Val, 2020)

Postby bomaz on 05 Feb 2020, 20:48

WTF ? Dolph will lend his voice to a vilain in the new Minion movie.

bomaz

Re: MINIONS THE RISE OF GRU (Kyle Balda, Brad Ableson cie, 2

Postby Jox on 06 Feb 2020, 00:10

OH WOW. And its both a crossover of a MINIONS sequel and a DESPICABLE ME spin-off prequel

What a cast, and it will be the 2nd second time he shares credit with legendary Julie Andrews...!

‘Minions: The Rise Of Gru’ Trailer: The Me Decade Is Perfect Era For This Supervillain-In-Training
https://deadline.com/video/minions-the- ... eve-carell

30 seconds teaser released on Monday

The official synopsis reads:
This summer, from the biggest animated franchise in history and global cultural phenomenon, comes the untold story of one 12-year-old’s dream to become the world’s greatest supervillain, in Minions: The Rise of Gru.

In the heart of the 1970s, amid a flurry of feathered hair and flared jeans, Gru (Oscar® nominee Steve Carell) is growing up in the suburbs. A fanboy of a supervillain supergroup known as the Vicious 6, Gru hatches a plan to become evil enough to join them. Luckily, he gets some mayhem-making backup from his loyal followers, the Minions. Together, Kevin, Stuart, Bob, and Otto—a new Minion sporting braces and a desperate need to please—deploy their skills as they and Gru build their first lair, experiment with their first weapons and pull off their first missions.

When the Vicious 6 oust their leader, legendary fighter Wild Knuckles (Oscar® winner Alan Arkin), Gru interviews to become their newest member. It doesn’t go well (to say the least), and only gets worse after Gru outsmarts them and suddenly finds himself the mortal enemy of the apex of evil. On the run, Gru will turn to an unlikely source for guidance, Wild Knuckles himself, and discover that even bad guys need a little help from their friends.

Teeming with Illumination’s signature subversive humor, pop-culture sophistication, full-hearted emotion, bold music sensibility, and over-the-top action, Minions: The Rise of Gru features a thrilling new cast of stars, including, as members of the Vicious 6, Taraji P. Henson as cool and confident leader Belle Bottom, Jean-Claude Van Damme as Jean Clawed, Lucy Lawless as Nunchuck, Dolph Lundgren as Svengeance and Danny Trejo as Stronghold. The film also features Russell Brand as Dr. Nefario, an aspiring mad scientist, Michelle Yeoh as Master Chow, an acupuncturist with mad Kung Fu skills, and Oscar® winner Julie Andrews as Gru’s maddeningly self-absorbed mom.

Steered by the franchise’s original creators, Minions: The Rise of Gru is produced by visionary Illumination founder and CEO Chris Meledandri and his longtime collaborators Janet Healy and Chris Renaud. The film is directed by returning franchise filmmaker Kyle Balda (Despicable Me 3, Minions), co-directed by Brad Ableson (The Simpsons) and Jonathan del Val (The Secret Life of Pets films), and features the iconic voice of Pierre Coffin as the Minions and a killer ʼ70s soundtrack courtesy of legendary Grammy-winning music producer Jack Antonoff.

Jox
Site Admin

Re: MINIONS: THE RISE OF GRU (Balda, Ableson, del Val, 2020

Postby Jox on 07 Feb 2020, 16:35

I have to admit, I didn't not understand anything by watching the full trailer.

(rarely seeing any 3D animation movies apart from like the excellent INSIDE OUT, I'd be more into a classic FROZEN type story/tone as I recently watched the original and found it to be great because it dared going to some almost dark and adult places I didn't expect)

But career wise, it's a cool opportunity he was offered to branch out with another mainstream title lined-up. It's actually very surprising they went to all these genre B movie listers for that.
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 16 Feb 2020, 16:58

No reaction(s) on Dolph being part of it?
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 20 Mar 2020, 14:32

‘Minions: The Rise Of Gru’ Moves Off Global Summer Release Dates As Illumination’s Paris Studio Temporarily Closes Over Coronavirus
https://deadline.com/2020/03/minions-th ... 202887622/
Illumination/Universal’s Minions: The Rise Of Gru has been moved off of its global release which was previously set for late June in some offshore markets and for July 3 domestically. This is another casualty of the coronavirus pandemic as Illumination’s Mac Guff studio in Paris has been temporarily shuttered in abidance with the current lockdown in France. A new release date is yet to be fixed.

Illumination founder and CEO Chris Meledandri said, “In response to the severity of the situation in France, we are temporarily closing our Illumination Mac Guff studio in Paris. With this decision we are abiding by the French Government’s guidelines and doing everything possible to slow the spread of the virus as we care for our artists and their families. This means we will be unable to finish Minions: The Rise Of Gru in time for our planned global releases in late June and early July. While we all grapple with the enormity of this crisis, we must put the safety and protection of our employees above all. We look forward to finding a new release date for the return of Gru and the Minions.”
Jox
Site Admin

Postby GeneralMcFaiL on 21 Mar 2020, 18:03

Saw that. Which character is he again?
"It's Jesus time!"
GeneralMcFaiL

Postby bomaz on 21 Mar 2020, 20:30

He's Svengeance, I guess it's the "viking" we see in the teaser.
bomaz

Postby Nathan on 22 Mar 2020, 13:47

More good exposure for Dolph and more confirmation that his general appreciation by the wider populous is on the increase. Hopefully the release date won't end up being pushed.
"Are we having fun yet?" - Dolph Lundgren, Universal Soldier
Nathan
Regular

Postby Jox on 22 Mar 2020, 16:37

They cannot even finish the film at the moment, so for now just waiting for when they can resume the work that remains (I'm not even sure Dolph and co did their voice-recording)...
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Nathan on 23 Mar 2020, 22:23

Ahh I thought it was in post already.
Nathan
Regular

Postby Mosquito on 03 Apr 2020, 20:52

Jox wrote:No reaction(s) on Dolph being part of it?

Oh absolutely, it's great news! I'm just (again) late to the party. :mrgreen: I loooooooooove the Minions! Hope Dolph's role is not too small. Long trailer and he doesn't say anything. The casts sounds really promising.

Did I mention that I looooove the Minions? "BANAAAAAANAAAAAAA!" :mrgreen:
Mosquito
Site Admin

Postby savagesketch on 03 Apr 2020, 23:44

Not a big surprise, but looks like we'll be waiting over a year to hear Dolph (and JCVD) voice animated villains... Least the slate of summer movies in 2021 is booked...

https://deadline.com/2020/04/minions-th ... 202897417/
savagesketch

Postby Jox on 05 Apr 2020, 22:41

Thanks for spotting, Savagesketch!

Mosquito wrote:Hope Dolph's role is not too small. Long trailer and he doesn't say anything.

I don't think we hear JCVD or almost anybody's voice either so that's why I'm not sure they had actually done their voice-over work by the time they released those teaser and trailer :?
I'm not an an animation expert but they might need the picture-edit to be locked before the recording sessions.

Did I mention that I looooove the Minions? "BANAAAAAANAAAAAAA!" :mrgreen:

Never seen it but I might have to (and DESPICABLE ME then I guess)! :wink:
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Nathan on 06 Apr 2020, 11:58

Jox wrote:Never seen it but I might have to (and DESPICABLE ME then I guess)! :wink:

To be fair I find most kid's movies a bit tedious but the Despicable Me movies are actually pretty funny and inventive.
Nathan
Regular

Next

Return to Dolph's Movies