THE INTERNATIONAL (Stallone, 2019-2020, pilot) (unproduced)

Got some new info on the man? Curious to find out what's new? Check in here!

Moderator: Moderators

Re: THE INTERNATIONAL (Ken Sanzel, 2020, TV series) (announc

Postby Jox on 10 Oct 2019, 12:43

GeneralMcFaiL wrote:The Godfather for the new era of TV for me will always be The Sopranos... that opened the door for shows like Breaking Bad, Mad Men etc..

There have been a few breakout shows over the years and THE SOPRANOS is one of them.

Not counting the anomaly exception of Lunch's original TWIN PEAKS, I think THE X-FILES really first imploded the rules of standard TV series (soon followed by the creators' MILLENNIUM though it was more of niche show).

And in the late "90s, HBO kinda reinvented television shows that would be adult, smart, deep and against the current of Hollywood conservative codes with SEX AND THE CITY and then THE SOPRANOS, SIX FEET UNDER, you name them... With the "non-comedy" shows, TV almost became "cinema", series were now shot and written like films... and good films! The best contemporary writers have quickly migrated or emerged from TV.

Now already 18-20 years later, countless shows and changes later, here we are...
Jox
Site Admin

Re: THE INTERNATIONAL (S. Stallone, 2020, TV pilot) (announc

Postby bomaz on 13 Dec 2019, 22:36

It seems like Dolph is in New York city "to work with sly". Is it possible they would already be shooting the pilot for the show ? (or just scouting ?)
bomaz

Postby Jox on 13 Dec 2019, 23:03

They're still working on the script. Pilot could be shot in the first months of 2020...

Posts from Balboa Productions on Insta:

Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 19 Feb 2020, 13:02

If Dolph actually gets to direct CASTLE FALLS first, I wonder where it's at, if they locked the script that was still in the works in December, or what, I know Sly is also filming a project now.

That will leave a little time slot if EX4 still goes to production late spring / early summer.

But as a TV pilot it's not undoable, and it could be ready for pilots season in September...?
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Moltisanti on 19 Feb 2020, 18:24

Feel like we should have heard more about this by now. The traditional pilot season is basically now. The networks make up their minds if they want the show to go forward by May since that's when they announce their fall schedules. So the actual pilots themselves are usually shot between now and April.

But I will say that TV has changed a lot in the last few years and not every new show premieres in the fall anymore.
Moltisanti
Regular

Postby Jox on 19 Feb 2020, 18:28

They still have just the window to shoot it in May but we'll see. In any case it seems too big of a thing to be canceled before they make the pilot so I'm not too scared about the possibility.
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 12 Mar 2020, 00:48

Dolph talks about it here for those who can understand/translate:
https://www.nidaros.no/dolph-lundgren-o ... -113-22764
Jox
Site Admin

Postby preacher on 12 Mar 2020, 15:29

He actually makes this sound kind of uncertain here. :?
"If this happens" It is going to happen in May after Castle Falls, he says.
It is in New York. Dolph likes that it is about the UN. He thinks that in this time of division in the world the UN stands for something positive. The part he is set to plays is a great part he says: An Agent for UNs secret service that deals with hostage situations, Bombs, Terrorism etc.

We probably should not get our hopes up further about this. With all that is going on with the Corona Virus, limiting travel all over and all the economics that brings with it I say this is highly unlikely to happen now.

But who knows what the situation is in two months...
preacher
Regular

Postby Jox on 12 Mar 2020, 18:08

Right, wait and see... If they're both passionate about it and can't make it happen now, they may still give it a go for next year, in between EX4 and whatnot or whatever happens or doesn't happen in the meantime...
Jox
Site Admin

Postby bomaz on 18 Mar 2020, 18:56

According to the interview Jox posted on the Castle Falls topic, it seems like the show is going to a streaming service (and not CBS), hence the delay (I guess).
bomaz

Postby dude hallenbeck on 18 May 2020, 02:44

I think Sly is working with Warner Bros a lot lately, so possibly it could go to HBO MAX?
dude hallenbeck

Re: THE INTERNATIONAL (S. Stallone, 2020, TV pilot) (unprodu

Postby Jox on 14 Apr 2021, 21:52

Writer Ken Sanzel confirms the project is pretty much dead...
https://www.actionreloaded.com/intervie ... en-sanzel/
AR: A script you wrote for a hugely anticipated series titled The International starring Dolph Lundgren and created by Sylvester Stallone, was announced, is it an action heavy series? What can you tell us about The International?

KS: The International was sold to CBS just pre-Covid, making good use of Dolph’s action chops and what I found to be a great laconic sense of humor. Dolph was going to play an ex-operative for a black ops branch of the UN, drawn back into the game when his mentor — who had betrayed him 15 years ago to become a gun for hire — resurfaces. Sly was interested in playing the mentor for the first arc of episodes.

The show was aimed at that sweet spot of delivering outsized action and fast paced episodes, some of the moral grey tones that make spy shows interesting, and modulated for network consumption.

AR: When can we expect release?

KS: It didn’t get picked up to pilot, so… never.

AR: Why didn’t CBS pick it up? I figured having Lundgren & Sly attached would have been an instant sale?

KS: You never really know why something doesn’t go. In Hollywood, people are very careful not to tell you what they actually think, for fear that you might hold it against them. Looking at what they picked up this season, it might have been too straight down the middle for them, though that seemed to be exactly what they responded to.

AR: Do you think it will be pitched to another network? Or is it just another shelved project?

KS: I think it’s dead, but you never know. It was developed pretty specifically to CBS’ needs, and CBS has a pretty specific house style, so other networks didn’t respond.

AR: Even though it didn’t come to screens, did you get to work with Sly on the script? If so what was it like writing with him?

KS: I didn’t get to work with Sly on the script. He was involved in the development of the premise, along with Dolph. That was a really good experience. And both of them are great in the room when you pitch; funny and relaxed. And it never hurts to have iconic actors sitting at the table with you. We sold it — in the room — to three networks.

In retrospect, we may have picked the wrong deal, but there’s no way of knowing. Networks commission 60-80 drama pilots every season, in order to shoot 8 or so, in order to put maybe 4 on the air. So you go in knowing that you’re threading a needle, working against their needs that year, favors owed, what’s leaving and what’s staying. I’ve sold upwards of 20 pilots over the years, been involved with the development of at least a dozen more… and only seen 6 or 7 actually shot.
Jox
Site Admin

Postby JuV on 14 Apr 2021, 22:59

Not really surprised by this since we didn't hear anything about it since it was announced but still kinda disappointed to hear this.
JuV

Postby Moltisanti on 15 Apr 2021, 07:14

I certainly would have watched but CBS shows are so bland that it's hard to imagine this would have ended up bucking that trend.
Moltisanti
Regular

Postby Scifibuff5 on 20 May 2021, 04:36

I hope they do get this show finally off the ground despite Corona delays on so many including Dolph's film he was doing initially with Scott Adkins (and also directing).

The whole thing I recall sounding like a fun CSI: Miami/H5-0 type escapade which would be perfect for any of us Dolph fans.
"No, I haven't seen any of [the new 'Punisher' movies]," - Dolph in 2009 MTV News Interview
Scifibuff5

PreviousNext

Return to News / Rumors