ROCKY IV (Sylvester Stallone, 1985)

An area for discussion of Dolph's past, present & future movies!

Moderator: Moderators

Re: ROCKY IV (Sylvester Stallone, 1985) DC in US theatres No

Postby Jox on 14 Nov 2021, 13:03

Theatrical premiere and release dates added in Germany (Dec 15) and Finland (Dec 2)
https://parkcircus.com/film/119870-Rock ... vs.-Drago-

Collider interview
Jox
Site Admin

Postby JuV on 15 Nov 2021, 22:31

Anyone here seen the director's cut yet? A friend of mine watched it and said the new 4k remasters looks great and blows the previous one out of the water. Also (as we know/suspected) the film is a lot more serious toned and Dolph gets various new scenes (which according to him are more in tone with Creed II)
JuV

Postby GeneralMcFaiL on 18 Nov 2021, 00:40

I don't know anyone personally who's seen it but from a quick glance over social media it looks like an overwhelmingly positive response mixed in with a few people who preferred the 80's vibe of the original.
"It's Jesus time!"
GeneralMcFaiL

Postby Jox on 19 Nov 2021, 12:55

Possible spoilers:

Every change in the new Stallone’s cut of ‘Rocky IV’
https://medium.com/fan-fare/every-chang ... 9232d1b5f2

Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 19 Nov 2021, 18:20

Odd that this press release: this isn't the 40th anniversary yet, the premiere already took place, and not in Vegas... So will this be another event for the West Coast?

Broadcast Management Group Produces Rocky IV Premier Live Broadcast using LiveU Wireless REMI Workflow
https://www.prnewswire.com/news-release ... 28565.html
8-camera live event promoting Rocky IV Rocky Vs. Drago, The Ultimate Directors Cut features pre-show, live Q&A with Rocky Star, Writer, Director Sylvester Stallone in Philadelphia with production taking place in Las Vegas

HACKENSACK, N.J, Nov. 19, 2021 /PRNewswire/ -- The iconic Rocky IV film featuring Rocky Balboa's (Sylvester Stallone) trip to the USSR to defend his title against Ivan Drago (Dolph Lundgren) is celebrating its 40th anniversary this year. To commemorate the milestone event and the release of the new Ultimate Director's Cut, full-service media company, Broadcast Management Group (BMG) partnered with, MGM Studios to produce an 8-camera live program in several locations within the Philadelphia Film Center from its state-of-the-art Las Vegas REMI Broadcast production hub. LiveU's LU800 multi-camera production level field units is at the core of the REMI production workflow, delivering high-quality, cost-effective live video transmissions.

"We are thrilled to provide live transmissions of the special event commemorating the anniversary of Rocky IV and the franchise's message of unwavering determination to fulfill one's dreams," said Mike Savello, LiveU VP of Sales, Americas. "The LU800's ability to transmit four fully frame-synced full-HD feeds from a single portable unit changes the economics of remote production and gives companies like BMG the ability to deliver high-quality live content to movie screens, televisions and mobile devices."

The live production featured a 20-minute live pre-show, followed by a 25-minute Q&A with the Star, Writer and Director, Sylvester Stallone followed by the premiere of the film to audiences at 700+ Fathom Event Theaters nationwide.

The production was shot with eight Grass Valley broadcast cameras including a jib in the theater, plus two cameras on the red carpet. BMG's CEO Todd Mason directed on site the live broadcast from BMG's REMI Mobile Unit One. Signals were sent from two LU800 field units back to the BMG REMI broadcast hub in Las Vegas and then uplinked to Fathom Theaters.
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 23 Nov 2021, 13:12

Jox wrote:Possible spoilers:

Every change in the new Stallone’s cut of ‘Rocky IV’
https://medium.com/fan-fare/every-chang ... 9232d1b5f2

Another comparison from Movie-Censorship.com (over 6 pages)
https://www.movie-censorship.com/report.php?ID=777252
Comparison between the Theatrical Version (on the German Blu-ray) and the Director's Cut (as VOD from Amazon.com).

277 documented differences
Difference: 54.3 sec (without credis)
...with approx. 40 minutes of exclusive material per version
Jox
Site Admin

Postby alex.sp89 on 24 Nov 2021, 10:56

I think the problem with Rocky 4 Director's cut is kind of missing opening because Sly deleted Paulie birthday party, robot etc, russians arrival in the US and he didn't have replacement scenes for that.To cover the runtime and missing scenes he extended the opening with flashbacks from Rocky 3 with Apollo at the gym regarding Eye of the Tiger which is mentioned several times during the movie. I think Sly this time wanted to show connection between Rocky and Apollo. For me it didn't work to much because 7 minutes of the footage from previous movie is too long. I feel disappointed also because he deleted several short clips from the movie:
1. Press asking about steroids when Nielsen answered that Drago is like Popeye - i would delete just some shots form it.
2.several shots of Drago in slow motion when he is like a stone cold especially during hymn russian song when Drago looks at Rocky ( in DC they use different angle- i would intercut both angles foe better effect), Drago looks at Apollo when he is dead in Rocky's arms- i also would use this shot shorter in different portion of the scene.
3. deleted scene in the locker room between Apollo and Rocky before entering the ring.I thing Sly deleted it mostly because it was kind of comical especially in Rocky dialogue- goofy acting and he didn't have replacement takes with more serious acting from Rocky that can fit the rest of his replacement scenes (more serious) acting.But if he could recut it different deleting unnecessary dialogue and shots it still could work fine to me. Sky choose to use the part of it like flashback before Drago and Rocky in black and white in the locker room.
4. Gloves US VS URRS deleted and no opening titles - looks like they added this opening in the last minute and forget or don't have time for titles.

The rest of the movie starting from Apollo in the pool till the end is brilliant. My intuition was right is it more serious, dramatic, cry, feelings and stuff. Editing now is more coherent - like a modern movie (2-3 sec . one angle moved to another 2-3 sec of another angle, not like old 8-10 sec. of one long take).I am glad that they used the song Sweetest Victory in this new version. 4K transfer is good and the old 2009 Rocky Blu Ray set looks old and bad transfer. Need to be updated for sure. Widescreen gave more cinematic experience and background shots don't look that empty like in 4:3 version. Reframing was a big plus.
alex.sp89

Postby alex.sp89 on 24 Nov 2021, 11:08

Jox u showed us two drafts of Rocky 4 a while ago. Can u share what was scripted there different than in this new version. Was the opening different ? just few words if u could
alex.sp89

Postby Jox on 01 Dec 2021, 20:33

I've been currently re-reading the drafts...

In the UK, ROCKY VS DRAGO grossed $42,737 in 116 screens (average of $368 per screen) over the first week-end (Nov 19-21).
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/release/rl ... 5/weekend/
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Tom on 01 Dec 2021, 23:06

I'll summize my feelings.
The positives for the DC:
The essence of what fans love is still there. He's tinkered with the montages and fights without losing the impact and theatre of them. Are they better? Not necessarily, but definitely in keeping and still as rousing as ever.
The transfer is beautiful.
Adrian is the biggest improvement. She's fleshed out to a rounded character in this.
Apollo's character is also improved.
The film feels more consistent stylistically with 1-3.
There are some interesting character additions for Drago.

Negatives:
Some things should have been left on the cutting room floor (and given how 'big' Sly probably wanted it back then, you can't avoid melodrama). Some of the edits are clumsy.

I'll be getting the Blu 100%.
Tom
Regular

Postby alex.sp89 on 01 Dec 2021, 23:15

Thank u Jox. When u will finish reading of this 2 draft can u say your word about alterations especially beginning of he movie ? Thank u in advance. What is your opinion about Rocky 4 Director's Cut ? What is Dolph's opinion about Rocky 4 Director's Cut ? Stallone showed him new cut for sure !? No one asked him about it in interviews ? Very strange to me.

P.S One thing in this new cut i forget to mention is re-remixing of Vince DiCola score - it sounds better than theatrical cut. The same music but different impact 2 times.
alex.sp89

Postby Jox on 02 Dec 2021, 01:13

alex.sp89 wrote:What is Dolph's opinion about Rocky 4 Director's Cut ? Stallone showed him new cut for sure !? No one asked him about it in interviews ? Very strange to me.

Actually Lundgren has been asked several in several of this week's interviews and his answer was simply that he hasn't seen the new cut yet, only some clips that Sly was sending him while he was editing it.
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 05 Dec 2021, 13:19

dolphlundgren

Try to check out ‘Rocky Vs Drago’, the Rocky IV director’s cut. Very deep and gritty drama. The picture quality is amazing!

https://www.instagram.com/p/CXE4O74K6sU/
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 05 Dec 2021, 23:11

juliens_auctions

SOLD for $89,600! Sylvester Stallone’s original handwritten screenplay pages for the boxing sequel Rocky IV (United Artists, 1985) filled with extensive storyline details and plot development ideas, including fight scene choreography (approximately 35 pages)

Sold today in our "Property from the Life and Career of Sylvester Stallone" auction taking place in Beverly Hills & live online at http://www.julienslive.com.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CXHQ_9bBwV9/

SOLD for $10,000! An original graphite and gouache illustration created by artist Drew Struzan as potential promo artwork for the film Rock IV (United Artists, 1985) signed by Struzan to the lower right and again to the lower left.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CXHR59NBmr1/
Jox
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Dolph's Movies