BRIDGE OF DRAGONS (Isaac Florentine, 1999)

An area for discussion of Dolph's past, present & future movies!

Moderator: Moderators

Postby Jox on 16 Feb 2006, 11:26

That's cool hasn't Bridge of Dragons already been released there? Is that the Pakistanese poster? I got it on ebay a few months ago:

Jox
Site Admin

Bridge of Dragons

Postby Graham on 16 Mar 2007, 01:31

I'm watching this for the second time, having seen it a couple of years ago and really it seems rather better this time around as I remember being less than impressed. The mish-mash of weaponry and uniforms do seem to render the supposedly futuristic setting rather ambiguous and I presume everyone has noticed that the DVD cover blurb describes a totally different (and perhaps more exciting) plotline to that of the actual film?!
Graham

Postby Mosquito on 18 Mar 2007, 01:35

Yeah, well, it's not exactly one of his best movies but the martial art is nice. Wasn't this one the movie with the unintended ending because the original material was not usable and they couldn't afford to shoot it a second time?
Mosquito
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 18 Mar 2007, 01:45

You're right, not the ending but the last shot. It's also one that had a different script waiting for Dolph when he arrived on location (wasn't the story that he and the director had signed for and both loved)...
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Graham on 18 Mar 2007, 15:57

So, was the original script for the film the storyline detailed on the DVD cover? "WarChild has been on a killing spree since childhood etc. etc."??
Graham

Postby Jox on 18 Mar 2007, 17:47

Not sure which DVD cover you are referring to but here is the original storyline and the behind the scenes story

http://www.gmrmedia.com/dolph/dolph-in/dragons.html
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Graham on 19 Mar 2007, 19:56

My Bridge of Dragons DVD has the following back cover blurb:

"...set in post war holocaust, Bridge of Dragons tells the story of two warring fractions which are divided between the Republic and The Confederation of Scientific Technology who both employ the services of highly trained assassins in their efforts to gain control.

One of these human killing machines is the aptly named Warchyld (Dolph Lundgren) who has been on a killing spress since childhood. After penertating an enemy target as instructed and ruthlessly disposing of his adversaries one by one, there remains only one man alive, bleeding and praying. Unable to find it in himself to kill his helpless "victim", Warchyld rebels and "opts out". One problem - there is no option to resign and the only way out is death.

But Warchyld is no ordinary man and as a trained assassin the only option for his superiors in order to terminate Warchyd's contract is to use the services of another trained assassin and the man who trained Warchyld. The action really hots up as the two go head to head and not only utilise their undoubted martial arts skills but a barrage of ancient weaponry. No reasons! No rules! No submission! No mercy!"

So yes, Jox, this clearly is the original outline! I wonder how this came ot be on the DVD cover, rather than the eventual plotline of the actual finished film! From the plotline outlined, the original intention sounds rather more exciting and intriguing than that of the movie that was actually made - do you agree?
Graham

Postby dolphage on 16 Jun 2007, 17:56

Graham
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 5:56 pm Post subject:
My Bridge of Dragons DVD has the following back cover blurb:

"...set in post war holocaust, Bridge of Dragons tells the story of two warring fractions which are divided between the Republic and The Confederation of Scientific Technology who both employ the services of highly trained assassins in their efforts to gain control.

One of these human killing machines is the aptly named Warchyld (Dolph Lundgren) who has been on a killing spress since childhood. After penertating an enemy target as instructed and ruthlessly disposing of his adversaries one by one, there remains only one man alive, bleeding and praying. Unable to find it in himself to kill his helpless "victim", Warchyld rebels and "opts out". One problem - there is no option to resign and the only way out is death.

But Warchyld is no ordinary man and as a trained assassin the only option for his superiors in order to terminate Warchyd's contract is to use the services of another trained assassin and the man who trained Warchyld. The action really hots up as the two go head to head and not only utilise their undoubted martial arts skills but a barrage of ancient weaponry. No reasons! No rules! No submission! No mercy!"

Now, that could have been one bad boy of an action flick! Mind you, "Bridge.." is O.K as it turned out too.
I don´t know about the "No reasons" in the tagline though. Sounds like they´ve got plenty of reasons... to kick fckng ace!
dolphage
Regular

Postby Travis on 12 Sep 2007, 00:16

It is the only "good" film he has made in the past 10 years
Travis
Regular

Postby Jox on 12 Sep 2007, 01:20

Travis could you enlighten us by giving your definition of "good" film please?
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Geoff on 12 Sep 2007, 10:01

Only good film in last ten years - are you telling me Dolph has not made a good movie since 1997!!!!

Have you not seen The Defender, The Mechanik????

I even enjoyed Direct Action, Hidden Agends loads. Even The Peacekeeper was 1997 - silly - but you gota love the line "Can someone bring me my gun?" - total list since 1997

Diamond Dogs
Inchiesta, L'
The Mechanik
The Defender
Retrograde
Fat Slags
Direct Action
Detention
Hidden Agenda
Agent Red
The Last Patrol
Jill Rips
Storm Catcher
Bridge of Dragons
Sweepers
The Minion
Blackjack
The Peacekeeper
- Lets be honest. This is just a case to you, to me its more. Much more! and if you try and take this disk I'm going to hit you very, very hard!
Geoff
Regular

Postby Rover on 12 Sep 2007, 10:36

Bridge of Dragons is not one of Dolph's best in my opinion, unless you watch it as a fantastic movie, set on a parallel Earth where gravity is different :)
It's an ok movie, and certainly not the only good movie made in the last 10 years! What about the Mechanik? Hidden Agenda? the Defender?
I have the poweeer!
Rover

Postby Mosquito on 12 Sep 2007, 20:53

Geoff wrote:Only good film in last ten years - are you telling me Dolph has not made a good movie since 1997!!!!

Surprises me, too. I said that my DVDs sit there in chronological order and I wouldn't have to change much if I'd wanted them to be in best-to-least-good order. BUT - of course there were good films! Plus, they are betting getter again!

Geoff, thanks for that list. I was actually too lazy to check right away. ;) Here are the films that I thought were good:

Diamond Dogs
The Mechanik
Direct Action
Sweepers
Blackjack (except for that lengthy monologue by the mad guy)

I think I also liked Hidden Agenda and Bridge of Dragons - but to be honest, it is a couple of years ago and I don't really remember. Have to watch them again. But I know that there were some nice fights in BoD.

I haven't watched Fat Slags (almost certainly never will) and The Inquiry.

I had trouble to understand the dialogues in The Defender. Have to watch that with subtitles again, I guess. Concentrating on what everyone said was too much effort to really rate the movie. Maybe it's a good thing because it means that the dialogues were actually important. ;)
Mosquito
Site Admin

Postby Wol4ica on 17 Sep 2007, 13:47

I've first seen it on TV. Me and my dad tryed to figer it out, what time of sentury there were. And the characters were strange a little. But, for one time, it's ok.
Wol4ica

Re: BRIDGE OF DRAGONS

Postby Mosquito on 12 Sep 2009, 00:02

Just zapped into Bridge of Dragons on TV. I had planned for a long time to watch that movie again. Now I know again why! Despite the cheesiness, it's a good movie with great fights. hilarious henchmen and a (as always) great looking Dolph, finally with a lot of unarmed fighting. Good that this is a dubbed version. So I still have reason to watch it on DVD again soon. :)
Mosquito
Site Admin

Next

Return to Dolph's Movies