SILENT TRIGGER (Russell Mulcahy, 1996)

An area for discussion of Dolph's past, present & future movies!

Moderator: Moderators

Postby Jox on 26 Sep 2006, 18:48

Yes it's at Amazon, but you missed your chance because it's been available at $9.99 for months and now its $49!
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 26 Sep 2006, 19:06

You can also email soundtrackers[@]earthlink.net, they sometimes do have it...
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Tom on 26 Sep 2006, 20:03

Thanks.
Do you know what tracks they have? I'm interested in the actual score itself mostly.
Tom
Regular

Postby Jox on 26 Sep 2006, 20:21

Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 06 Oct 2007, 20:49

Here you can order a 2.35 WIDESCREEN version without the subtitles and from what I was told with the original main title design credits (not the French "Assassin Warrior" custom titles)...

Just note that the "uncut" /"extended" mentions are just here to state that this is not cut in any way (like some German versions)... so no extra scenes...

So basically the best version available...

http://www.dvduncut.com/product_info.php/products_id/4560

Image Image

(btw "Diamond Dogs" is also already available for sale on this site)
Jox
Site Admin

Postby BrunnenMatt on 07 Oct 2007, 05:48

Where's the 5.1 track? It also seems that the studio releasing this DVD is High Land a well know bootleg label.

DVD-Label "High Land" also release the uncut PUNISHER years ago.

...BMatt
BrunnenMatt
Regular

Postby Jox on 07 Oct 2007, 11:41

5.1 is luxury, not essential...
yes it is a bootleg from High Land but as long as the picture is right (as opposed to a R1 pan&scanned 1.33) and not too dark (as opposed to the French version) that is so rare that it's all that matters...
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Mosquito on 08 Oct 2007, 11:15

I'm not an expert regarding profit sharing. We said that people shouldn't download Dolph's movies if they are true fans. But what about bootlegs? Don't they harm the "business case" of the people involved in making / producing the movie, too? Who actually earns money from official DVD sales?

I suspect that Dolph doesn't get an income from DVD sales, right? But I guess the production companies do, no? Please enlighten me. ;-)
Mosquito
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 08 Oct 2007, 23:13

That is a complex question that, given the fact that I already own 4(?!) official editions of the movie, I don't ask myself, especially if it's for a better version... and in some cases it can be good to screw distributors for their crappy editions that they throw at us as if we where their dogs (for instance here both German DVD of ST in German only and pan&scan full screen)... and some directors are not against bootlegs at all if they feel they've been cheated by the producers or distributors...

I'm not sure what residuals Dolph gets from his movies (he probably has some) if it's from the licensing or DVD sales, but basically they go to the distributors first and then producers, after the distributors recouped their M.G. (minimum guarantee) (in most cases every contract is different)...
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Mosquito on 09 Oct 2007, 00:24

I see, thanks for the explanation. Yes, you are totally right when you say that distributors should be punished if they try to sell crappy versions. I bought my Silent Trigger DVD in The Netherlands because I would never buy a DVD without the original language version.

Ooops, that's a lie. Just one or two weeks ago I bought the German Pentathlon DVD. But out of sheer desparation! And it is the only one, I swear! ;)
Mosquito
Site Admin

I know for the first time, what Silent Trigger is about!

Postby Tom on 20 Nov 2007, 13:29

It's taken me a probably a dozen viewings, but I've worked out what was going on. Previously I thought, as did many, that nothing much happens in it. But I've now worked it out, and actually turns out it's a better plot than I thought it was originally. There's a little bit of substance with that style. It probably took me that long to see what was going on, amongst all that silly dialogue, the wooden (yet foxxy) Gina Bellman and nutty coke snorting bad guy, clogging the film up. I now realise that it's a better script than I gave it credit for.

Anyone not sure what the hell is going on, go have another watch of the Trigger. (It's original title The Algonquin Goodbye I now also get, and they should have kept it). I'll report my take (which of course is 100% accurate 8) ) in a week, so I don't spoil it for anyone. You have a week to watch it folks!

Anyway it is just a goddamn gorgeous film to look at.
Tom
Regular

Postby Jox on 20 Nov 2007, 15:04

Nice, I'm curious to hear your take on it, I think I got it but you might enlighten me with something new...

Anyway this movie is totally underrated and deserved better fate, I wish I had seen it in theaters (lucky those who did!). Russell Mulcahy might have had his share of crappy gun-for-hire movies yet he is still the guy behind "Razorback" and "Highlander" and one of the best directors that Dolph has worked with.
Jox
Site Admin

Postby dolphage on 21 Nov 2007, 18:34

I thought I understood what was going on in that movie but now you´ve got me questioning myself here. Is there more to it? Am I missing something (wouldn´t be the first time). This should prove rather interesting...

I also rank that movie higher than most others do. It´s kinda slow but still a pretty decent Dolph flick. And it looks nice.
dolphage
Regular

Postby Jox on 31 Dec 2007, 19:38

"until I get an answer I'll be waiting"
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Tom on 31 Dec 2007, 19:54

Damn, all this MM talk, and I've forgotton what my take on it was. I'm now gonna have to sit back down and watch it again. I'm tempted anyway, cause I've been listening to Stefano Mainetti's score, good stuff, really interesting.
Tom
Regular

PreviousNext

Return to Dolph's Movies