RETROGRADE (Christopher Kulikowski, 2004)

An area for discussion of Dolph's past, present & future movies!

Moderator: Moderators

RETROGRADE - The Director's Cut

Postby Jox on 27 Mar 2007, 18:50

The director of RETROGRADE made his own DIRECTOR'S CUT EDITION from the cut originally presented to the producers (who stupidly cut and re-cut the picture), and so here's his own director's cut trailer!

I have seen the director's cut. And I must say that the director's cut is that much better, as this trailer shows. Of course it remains the same movie, but the editing is sharper and gives the story so much more sense, the music cues fit the timing, and the darker, moodier colors hide the weaknesses of the sets... It's actually a few minutes shorter than the official version but there's more to it in fact, different shots, visual effects...

So it's not the film that C. Kulikowski envisioned because he couldn't really shoot the film the way he wished, but it represents what he had to work with in a two and a half / three week cutting period...

Jox
Site Admin

Postby Nathan on 27 Mar 2007, 19:55

Thanks! That was cool! :lol:
"Are we having fun yet?" - Dolph Lundgren, Universal Soldier
Nathan
Regular

Postby Tom on 27 Mar 2007, 19:57

Yeah I've seen it too. Most of the changes that the producers made in their cut, were pointless, simply re-arranging edits like at the beginning and the end, for no real reason, other than to interfere. If they wanted to interfere like that, they should have let the director have some money to spend on making the film better, not in 18 days. It definitely made the sets look less terrible. Still although it's a slightly different cut, it still ends up being probably Dolph's worst film still, it's just boring.

Christopher is a top guy too, it's a shame the producers didn't let him make the film he wanted. The clearly showed no trust in him, and no ambition to make a good film. As such it's still not been released in major territories like the UK or US yet. It cost barely anything, and will struggle to make a profit. Also Chris cut a very good trailer there, further showing the complete lack of effort and integrity that the producers had, when you watch the official trailers.
Tom
Regular

Postby Nathan on 27 Mar 2007, 20:01

Thanks! That was cool! :lol:
Nathan
Regular

Postby Jox on 28 Mar 2007, 01:07

it cost barely anything, and will struggle to make a profit

I'm not sure it'll struggle to make a profit... actually one of the reasons why the producers just didn't care about the end product is that they probably got their money back with pre-sales before the film was even finished and then they just cared about getting rid of it and delivering it the soonest possible... anyway it's too bad it ended up this way because that was originally a good project with a good pitch and potential. Dolph didn't do that much sci-fi and it'd be great to see him in a good sci-fi movie...
Jox
Site Admin

Time Travelers

Postby stevecoll25 on 05 Jan 2008, 21:16

hi has anyone seen this movie with dolph in it is on a german dvd website and just wonted to no if it ad a aka cos in dolph film list it dosent show this film listed so if sum one cud b kind enough to up date me to if the film is known as sum thing else thanks steve
stevecoll25

Postby dolphage on 05 Jan 2008, 21:40

This is Retrograde (the only movie in wich Dolph time travels)
Not the best DL movie.
dolphage
Regular

Postby hansson55 on 12 Feb 2008, 03:04

How can I find The directors cut, anyone knows where to buy it?
¤¤¤ It’s from Sweden like me ¤¤¤
hansson55
Regular

Postby Jox on 12 Feb 2008, 11:59

You can't buy it anywhere, it's unofficial...
Jox
Site Admin

RETROGRADE Versions

Postby Nathan on 05 May 2008, 23:27

Hi,

Am I right in thinking that the BETTER Director's Cut version of Retrograde isn't available on DVD, because I've just bought the standard edition.

Thanks.
Nathan
Regular

Postby Jox on 06 May 2008, 09:58

You are right. The director just kept the footage and restored his director's cut on his own, unbeknown to the producers...
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Tom on 06 May 2008, 10:48

I wonder if Retrograde will ever make it's way to the States or the UK on DVD. Even with Dolph's recent uprise, the film is such a turkey I just can't see it. Plus the production company had so many problems apparently. The director will never get his cut out there, but saying that it's not that different.
Tom
Regular

Postby Nathan on 06 May 2008, 13:15

Well, I guess I'll just have to decide for myself. I felt I owed it to Dolph to check out a copy of it. I watched Missionary Man last night and actually enjoyed it more the second time, and I enjoyed it the first time. The action is well paced and there are some kick ass moments - and there are none of those embarassing moments, like cheesy moments where you just cringe..unlike The Shepherd from Van Damme where I found myself disliking some of the cheesy mexican characters, Dolph manages to keep everything realistic and even the Indian mysticism was good unlike in Walker, Texas Ranger when its sometimes over the top.
Nathan
Regular

Postby leigh1975 on 06 May 2008, 19:56

I think Retrograde WAS going to be released in the UK, i remember HMV had it up for release under the title Identity, released by a small company called ILC Prime. I can only assume the rights lapsed before release.
leigh1975

Postby Nathan on 06 May 2008, 20:04

I noticed that too actually, that must have been about a year ago now.
Nathan
Regular

PreviousNext

Return to Dolph's Movies