The Shepherd

Feel free to discuss everything not related to Dolph. Have a good time and be friendly!

Moderator: Moderators

Postby leigh1975 on 26 Sep 2008, 19:47

I just recently reviewed this for the site I work on, hope I was fair;

http://www.dvdactive.com/reviews/dvd/sh ... l-the.html

I gave Dolph a couple of shout outs, and I'm trying to get some of his films on there. But seeing that the last film released was Diamond Dogs, I thought I'd leave it for a while! I'm really hoping to get Direct Contact on site, and definitely Command Performance.
leigh1975

Postby Nathan on 27 Sep 2008, 00:23

Jeez I didn't know that was you, I've read the review twice now, excellent stuff my friend!! :D I look forward to your Dolph review!!
Nathan
Regular

Postby leigh1975 on 27 Sep 2008, 01:29

Thanks, I really appreciate it! I'm really trying to get more genre stuff on there, but it's mostly the stuff I'm sent from my editor. I was going to get The Mechanik on there too, but the DNC disc was so bad, it didn't warrant it. Next time, hopefully. If I do, I'll let you guys know first. :D
leigh1975

Postby Tom on 27 Sep 2008, 11:15

Good review mate. I was really disappointed with The Shepherd. It could have been so much better, especially action wise. Don't know if you saw Florentines previous film, Undisputed 2, but the fights in that film were outstanding. They brought back the choreographer from that film, as well as kicking sensation Scott Adkins, but the result was just very mundane choreography, and the end fight was a major letdown (Adkins and JJ Perry wanted the fight to be a certain way, Van Damme didn't, and Van Damme wins that argument). I most definitely agree that Maximum Risk was underrated. Watched it on Blu-ray the other day and it's a cracking action film. Not bad script, Van Damme plays a grounded character who actually seems like a real person, and does so well, and then it looked great, had good music, and a cracking mix of action. That elevator fight is one of my favourite fight scenes ever. It's just brutal, and makes use of it's surrounding. The film also has some good foot chases and car chases. Great locations as well.
Tom
Regular

Postby Jox on 27 Sep 2008, 11:42

leigh1975 wrote:the DNC disc was so bad, it didn't warrant it.

Don't restrain yourself, I think there's a place for negative (yet constructive) criticism (otherwise there's no point writing/reading reviews).
Jox
Site Admin

Postby leigh1975 on 27 Sep 2008, 17:46

No, I meant it wasn't worth buying a poor disc for my collection just to review it. The Shepherd wasn't a disc sent by my editor, it's from my collection. 99% of the reviews are from discs sent out by PR companies, and it would mean I'd have to supply Mechanik. And I already have the Dutch one from Bridge, so I didn't bother.
leigh1975

Postby Lennert on 17 Dec 2008, 02:55

Well, I didn't think The Shepherd was that bad, it just wasn't verry good either. Mostly because JCVD's acting wasn't as good as it was in his previous movies (In Hell, Until Death and Wake Of Death were absolutely awesome), it just looked kind of uninspired. The action wasn't that bad, but could have been better. I also didn't like his character, while most of the time I really like him being the nice guy (like in Bloodsport) or the badass good guy (like Hard Target). This time his character felt somewhat... underdeveloped.

Then again, I never met a van Damme movie I didn't like (although this might be because I haven't seen Second In Command and Derailed yet :P )
Lennert

Postby Daydreamer on 17 Dec 2008, 03:20

I have this but haven´t seen it yet, Scott Adkins has become a favorite after seeing him in Special Forces and Undisputed 2.

/Daydreamer
Daydreamer

Postby Lennert on 17 Dec 2008, 03:34

The guy really is a promise indeed, I can't wait 'till Wolverine (where he will be Weapon X) and Undisputed 3 hit the theatres/stores.
Lennert

Previous

Return to Off-Topic