UNIVERSAL SOLDIER: REGENERATION (John Hyams, 2009)

An area for discussion of Dolph's past, present & future movies!

Moderator: Moderators

Postby Krom on 29 Sep 2008, 17:23

Great, it's really happening!!!
TheArnoldfans.com
Krom
Regular

Postby dolphage on 29 Sep 2008, 22:38

Hope they don´t mess this up.... Hope hope... It could be soo sweet. Sgt Andrew Scott, baby!
dolphage
Regular

Postby Jox on 30 Sep 2008, 00:46

Yeah it needs a good writer on this one and one who can write good dialog...
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Nathan on 30 Sep 2008, 17:06

It's okay if the plot is a little cheesy and 90's as long as the script writer knows to write lots of one-liners.
Nathan
Regular

Postby The_Canadian on 01 Oct 2008, 07:44

What worries me is the direction. We need someone stylish, who can handle crazy action scenes and shoot them to look exciting.

That's why Cover-Up and The Minion were so boring to watch, even though there were car chases and everything!
"Loosly translated... out of the frying pan and boned up the ass with a red hot poker."
-Showdown In Little Tokyo
The_Canadian
Regular

Postby Mosquito on 01 Oct 2008, 23:03

Gosh, I'd love to see Sgt. Scott return. My favourite one-liner: "I'm all ears."

Regarding the director: I think Matthew Vaugn did a very good job on Layer Cake. Woud he be affordable? I also liked The Transporter very much. The director was Corey Yuen... seems to be mainly an actor. Good thing: He knows about martial arts and how to make it look good on screen. How I miss those famous high kicks and stuff. Dolph doesn't make enough use of his excellent skills lately. Is it my bad memory or was Bridge of Dragons the last movie where we saw Dolph in exciting martial arts fights?
Mosquito
Site Admin

Postby Nathan on 02 Oct 2008, 00:54

Bridge of Dragons was awesome for martial arts and I think Issac Florentine brought out the best in Dolph in terms of action, he was very physical in it. But obviously because of the tantrums thrown on The Shepherd he won't be doing US-3, but the fight choreographer for Bridge of Dragons is also doing Ninja I think, the Scott Adkins flick. Showdown in Little Tokyo had some good fights and Direct Action had some simple well shot and edited fights. I really wish Dolph would do more martial arts too, he didn't get any high kicks really in the first Unisol but hopefully in the new one... :)
Nathan
Regular

Postby Craigie-Boy on 03 Oct 2008, 04:16

Come to think of it, Dolph barely utilised any martial arts skills at all in Unisol - his character evidently was primarily a brawler as opposed to a martial artist. There was the one scene where he knocked down three guys with a kick move before asking another guy if he'd seen Luc and Veronica in the Buick, but that's about it...
Craigie-Boy
Regular

Postby Jox on 03 Oct 2008, 10:37

I think that was actually one thing Dolph and Van Damme didn't agree on. Dolph didn't want to do martial arts as i t was inappropriate and irrelevant, and of course VD had to do (and add more of) his signature kicks (which I also thought was kinda stupid, imagine the Terminator doing fancy roundhouse kicks and jumps? no)
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Nathan on 03 Oct 2008, 11:46

So what kinda fighting are you hoping for in the new Unisol 3 Jox? I didn't even know about that disagreement...I don't know who I would side with because I would have liked old Dolph to throw a few kicks.
Nathan
Regular

Postby Jox on 03 Oct 2008, 18:38

Nathan wrote:So what kinda fighting are you hoping for in the new Unisol 3 Jox?

Caught me off guard haha! ;)

Haven't really thought about the question (or the movie in general) to tell you the truth but something more down and dirty I guess, and there has to be some kind of visceral tension to it (and as much as I love it mawashi-geris and back flips takes that out a lot of the times).
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Nathan on 03 Oct 2008, 20:05

I did like the throwing about of the first one, I don't really want to see the In Hell type of fights but some brawling would be good, a few low kicks, knee to the face kinda thing and then maybe some high kicks used sparingly for a little surprise. I will be interested to see what they come up with and who the fight choreographer will be, but I haven't been thinking too much about this one myself, it still seems too good to be true that Dolph would come back to my favourite role of his. :?
Nathan
Regular

Postby Geoff on 06 Oct 2008, 18:34

Awsome news, maybe its worth hoping for now........
- Lets be honest. This is just a case to you, to me its more. Much more! and if you try and take this disk I'm going to hit you very, very hard!
Geoff
Regular

Postby Geoff on 06 Oct 2008, 18:51

The thing that I liked about the first one was the non martial arts in it (apart from trade mark Van Damme kicks) it made it a lot more gritty and dare I say believable. However in saying that who here would not want to see and well styled and "real karate" fight between both Van Damme and Dolph - HELL I WOULD!!!
- Lets be honest. This is just a case to you, to me its more. Much more! and if you try and take this disk I'm going to hit you very, very hard!
Geoff
Regular

Postby dolphage on 06 Oct 2008, 20:15

On the audio commentary of UniSol Emmerich and ... Devlin (?) say something to the effect that "you can put all the fancy martial arts you want in a movie but nothing gets a better reaction than a good old punch in the face".

But a nice mix of grit and flash would be welcome for the fight scenes. IMO.
dolphage
Regular

PreviousNext

Return to Dolph's Movies