UNIVERSAL SOLDIER: REGENERATION (John Hyams, 2009)

An area for discussion of Dolph's past, present & future movies!

Moderator: Moderators

Postby Nathan on 06 Nov 2008, 19:25

This is shit news, I thought this was wayyyy too good to be true. Let us know of any developments from the Dolph camp Jox but it appears at least Van Damme doesn't care and neither do the producers. Dolph is better off sticking to Nu Image and directing his own movies, he knows what the hell he is doing and he's the only one.
"Are we having fun yet?" - Dolph Lundgren, Universal Soldier
Nathan
Regular

Postby Tom on 06 Nov 2008, 20:29

Dolph's better off phoning Stallone and getting a part in the seriously awesome sounding "The Expendables." It starts filming next year, starring Stallone, Jason Statham and possibly Jet Li as well. Stallone is directing. I think maybe Dolph needs to give a few hints Slys way. That would be immensely cool to add Dolph into that mix.

Much as I'd have liked a US-3. It would have been for the novelty value alone. The chances of it being good were very slim, and even less so now without Dolph, and with JC only in a bit part it seems. Both guys are best off doing other things anyhow.
Tom
Regular

Postby Jox on 06 Nov 2008, 21:34

Guys, I'll repost what I already said:

People don't know how to read and medias like MTV(http://moviesblog.mtv.com/2008/11/05/exclusive-universal-soldier-3-moves-forward-with-jean-claude-van-damme-but-no-dolph-lundgren) (they just want to create BS which they did apparently) are just asses: they just insinuate that Dolph isn't in the movie and want you to believe so; but if you read carefully there's nothing that sates one way or the other. Even if VD said that, you sometimes he doesn't even know what he's talking about.

I almost don't want to ask Dolph about this (at least not yet) , just to witness all the BS around it...

Dolph's better off phoning Stallone and getting a part in the seriously awesome sounding "The Expendables." It starts filming next year, starring Stallone, Jason Statham and possibly Jet Li as well. Stallone is directing. I think maybe Dolph needs to give a few hints Slys way. That would be immensely cool to add Dolph into that mix.

Definitely but I'd rather see him reunite with Sly o something else: I'm no Statham-friendly.

PS: By the way so last time I heard, Dolph was waiting to find out which he would do first: ICARUS or US3.
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Tom on 06 Nov 2008, 21:49

I'd guess Dolph was waiting for the offer, and they've decided against it, and evidently are gonna go down the cheap route with it. Shame really. Who knows it may still happen, cause as you say Jox, Van Damme has a habit of getting his words muddled, if you could call it that. I'm expecting this to go ahead without DL now though, and it'll suck ass.
Tom
Regular

Postby leigh1975 on 06 Nov 2008, 23:18

As Jox said, nothing concrete in the MTV interview is said at all, it's still a possibility; Jox himself has said Dolph is considering sceduling. Or did he...? :wink:
leigh1975

Postby Jox on 06 Nov 2008, 23:28

Last time we heard something from MTV they had made Seagal talk about "Under Siege 3" so he rambled about potential storylines including something extraterrestrial. I think that says it all.

Make sure they never talk to Dolph or they'll have him say he'll do a "Showdown" sequel with a CGI-ed Brandon Lee!
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Nathan on 07 Nov 2008, 00:01

The Seagal interview was funny, the guy is insane. Jason Statham is good IMO Jox, he does play the same kind of character, but he knows what he is best at and he does it well. I really do wish also Dolph would drop a few hints Sly's way, if Sly is teaming up three action heroes then I think he could make this a regular thing and include Dolph...Dolph would naturally play a villain because he's best at that.
Nathan
Regular

Postby Moltisanti on 07 Nov 2008, 07:47

Tom wrote:Dolph's better off phoning Stallone and getting a part in the seriously awesome sounding "The Expendables." It starts filming next year, starring Stallone, Jason Statham and possibly Jet Li as well. Stallone is directing. I think maybe Dolph needs to give a few hints Slys way. That would be immensely cool to add Dolph into that mix.

I would think Nu Image would want some of their DTV guys, Lundgren or even Scott Adkins, to be in something like THE EXPENDABLES. Not only does it make the cast cooler, but then after THE EXPENDABLES comes out Nu Image could hype any future Lundgren or Adkins DTV films as featuring a "Star from THE EXPENDABLES." Would make those DTV offerings even more appealing when they sell them to the different territories.

Oh, and US3 with no Dolph and forced-by-threat-of-lawsuit Van Damme isn't worth anyone's time.
Moltisanti
Regular

Postby Nathan on 07 Nov 2008, 12:07

I agree with what you said and especially your last sentence. Also Nu Image should realise that with Stallone being a theatrical star they can pair up some DTV heroes with him, I hope they try and do this sometime.
Nathan
Regular

Postby Travis on 13 Nov 2008, 23:43

Van Damme was on Adam Carolla this week and said he would like Dolph to be in it.
Travis
Regular

Postby Jox on 14 Nov 2008, 12:32

Finally

http://moviesblog.mtv.com/2008/11/13/un ... discussed/

‘Universal Soldier 3’ Exclusive: Lundgren Insists Role HAS Been Discussed

Published by Brian Jacks on Thursday, November 13, 2008 at 4:29 pm.

Last week Jean-Claude Van Damme told MTV News that the long-rumored “Universal Soldier 3” was absolutely going to happen very soon, albeit without the services of one Mr. Dolph Lundgren, of whom the producers reportedly said there was “no more value” to be had in casting.

“Absolutely untrue,” Lundgren insisted, clearing the air with a surprise call to MTV News HQ. “I’ve met with the producers many times, and I AM the one resisting. I want it to be a good picture, and I’m working with the producers on the materials and trying to work it out. The truth is it’s still a script and I think it needs some work.”

One of the main sticking points, Lundgren said, was the size of the roles offered to both of the main actors from the original 1992 film which, according to JCVD, amounted to about “10 days of work.” Basically glorified cameos, Lundgren said.

“Neither me nor Jean-Claude were carrying the picture and I didn’t agree with that,” Lundgren told us. “I think we have to be in the film more to give the audience what they want. You want some young guys in there too and you want a good story, but at the same time you want to use some of that old story element as well so that it does connect back.

“If [Van Damme and I] were to end up on screen together there’d be a large, built-in audience and we want to take advantage of that,” he continued, “to get what the audience came for, what they paid for.”

Lundgren, you may recall, wasn’t in the JCVD starring sequel, a 1999 dud the man formerly known as Ivan Drago called “terrible and not a very good movie.” It’s precisely for that reason that he’s worrying so much about the role he was offered in “Soldier 3,” the 50-year-old (50 year old!) said.

“’Universal Soldier’ is a great franchise, a great trademark, and I think it should be done very well and not rushed. I’m not begging for anything,” Lundgren asserted. “I wrote and directed the last two movies I did so I’m a little bit concerned about the material. What I’m doing is I want it to be a better film, a more intriguing storyline and not something you’ve seen before.”

To that end, Lundgren said he is meeting with producers today (November 13th) to hash out ideas, including his wish that they revisit the friend and foe dynamic between the two main characters.

“[My character and Van Damme’s character] were team members and enemies, I think that’s a good way to go. I think that’s one of the strengths of the story,” he said of what his ideal situation would be. “Plus my character tends to turn, so I mean that’s something that can be used in several ways and that’s what we are working on right now.
“I think if all parties want to do something together then usually there’s a way to work it out,” he concluded. “If you make a shortcut on the script then you pay the price later.I guess we’ll see how it goes.”
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Tom on 14 Nov 2008, 17:36

They should let Dolph write and direct. Simple as that. Dolph would own this movie, make it rock, and Van Damme would also respond well to that too. I'm glad Dolph won't just sign on to it for the sake of it or just for the money. If he is involved, we can maybe assume it'll at least be decent.
Tom
Regular

Postby Jox on 14 Nov 2008, 17:45

Tom wrote:I'm glad Dolph won't just sign on to it for the sake of it or just for the money. If he is involved, we can maybe assume it'll at least be decent.
Me too.

It's all to his credit and it shows how much he learned and how much confidence he gained. He's always been very much involved in the development and writing processes but sometimes to his depends, not being able to change much once signed (ie. "Bridge Of Dragons", "The Last Patrol" etc).

As much as good as the movie could be, I'm not sure if this is a good idea to let have him direct this one, just from a political stand point. I'm not even sure he's really interested in directing that type of story/film.
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Mosquito on 14 Nov 2008, 22:54

So why did JCVD say that Dolph was not involved? Puzzles me if they really don't dislike each other. Strange.
Mosquito
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 14 Nov 2008, 23:15

He didn't actually say that and the site kinda mis-constructed what he said. Also even when he doesn't mean bad JCVD sort of hallucinates or make stuff up...
Jox
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Dolph's Movies