DETENTION (Sidney J. Furie, 2003)

An area for discussion of Dolph's past, present & future movies!

Moderator: Moderators

Postby bomaz on 28 Jan 2005, 21:15

the dvd will be released on 20th april in france , with english and french 5.1 sound !!!
bomaz

Postby bomaz on 09 Apr 2005, 21:04

i've just bought the french DVD for 14.99€ ( approximatively the same in dollars i think ) ! it looks good , and the only features are trailers of films like Resident Evil , and of course Detention !!
i will see it tonight or tomorrow ...
bomaz

Postby bomaz on 16 Apr 2005, 10:47

i've seen "detention" . Yes , it's a little bit late , but ...
so , detention is a cool action flick ! Dolph is still good ( even if he don't have a great actor stuff to do in this movie ) . The others actors are "over-playing" ( the cop , the bas guy , and corey sevier ... ) .
The editing is cool and fast ( so it does good action stuff ) , but the work of Sydney J Furie is quite bad ! there is visual problems ( some with the camera , some with the angles ) but , in general , it's okay .
so , a movie that have more quality than flaw .
5/10
bomaz

Postby Jox on 18 Jun 2005, 05:53

Did you know? "Detention" was nominated for Outstanding Achievement in Sound Editing at the DGC (Directors Guild of Canada) Awards in held in october 2004
Jox
Site Admin

Detention DVD

Postby Craigie-Boy on 22 Jun 2005, 02:22

I bought the Detention DVD a few months back, ex-rental from Global. Turns out that it didn't actually work properly. It was perfectly watchable for the first 70-75 minutes or so, but then it started to skip and jump like nobody's business, to the point where I had to stop playing it because it was unwatchable. The only extra it had was the trailer, which didn't play at all, but I'd seen that before, so it wasn't a total loss.
It was the exact same story with Direct Action, which I also bought. Should have had the sense to rent them first...
Ah well. I'm just waiting for a R2 release of Men Of War. Bring it on!
Craigie-Boy
Regular

DETENTION

Postby Graham on 08 Mar 2007, 21:49

I just watched this tonight for the first time, it was one I had been particularly looking forward to, despite having seen some poor reviews.

At the end of the day, it was indeed pretty disappointing, with Dolph pretty much being the only thing that kept me watching. Some of the dialogue was embarrassingly awful ("Shoot them in the bum", "I smell teacher!" etc.) and the lead bad guy character Chester Lamb was ridiculously OTT.

Detention is not one I'd want to watch again.
Graham

Postby dolphage on 16 Jun 2007, 17:45

You are correct.
Without the Dolphin in it, this movie would have been as enjoyable as getting stabbed in the jaw.
Everything in it, except for The D Man, reeks of amateurishness (that´s a great word) (try saying "amateurishness" fast ten times in a row) (while stabbing yourself in the jaw)
But it was one of the last films before His Awakening.
Now he´s back!
dolphage
Regular

Postby The_Canadian on 17 Jun 2007, 07:51

I personally thought this and Hidden Agenda were his awakening, for different reasons. Hidden Agenda+Dolph's more personal, actor side. Detention= Dolph more "I'm going to kick serious ass no matter what" side. The script was incoherrent, sure, but it had some nice action set pieces and a cool "80's kick ass action movie" style to it.

I would love to see Dolph do more films like this, plus a slightly better script and just as many neat action sequences. He's done enough of this "slow... thoughtful" stuff, I want him to do Showdown in Little Tokyo stuff again!
"Loosly translated... out of the frying pan and boned up the ass with a red hot poker."
-Showdown In Little Tokyo
The_Canadian
Regular

Postby dolphage on 17 Jun 2007, 11:16

Sure, but the eighties style "kick ass and take names" (wich I, no surprises here, love) movie that the Dolhinero did at that time was really Direct Action. Now there´s a "guilty pleasure", for you! Loads of hand to hand/broken limbs, "one man army (not the movie)"- type action. Cheesy? Check! Cheap looking? Check! Character arcs? Fuck no!

Detention is not engaging in that same way.

There´s a lot of random shooting up of the decor while Dolph and Adolescent Stereotypes hide behind a wall/desk. And noone get´s hit (really).

Not that much fun.

But what The_Canadian is saying about the D -man´s future choices is spot on! He needs to pack on some muscle and go back to being an unstoppable, huge superman.

I´ll quote the trailer (one of them) for Universal Soldier to make my point:

"One, can´t be controlled (Van Damme), the other... CAN NOT BE STOPPED (Dolph)!"
dolphage
Regular

Postby Lennert on 17 Dec 2008, 02:10

I wasn't expecting anything from this movie, but I didn't feel disappointed in the end. The acting was pretty good (expect for the horrible performances of the badguys), the action was ok and the characters were likeable. What I didn't like was the fact that there was a certain lack of close combat, but it didn't totally bother me.

I don't think I'll rewatch it very quickly, but I wouldn't call this a failure. All I am hoping now, is that Retrograde (which get even worse reviews) won't be that bad like people tell it to be.
Lennert

Postby Jox on 17 Dec 2008, 03:27

Lennert wrote:I don't think I'll rewatch it very quickly, but I wouldn't call this a failure. All I am hoping now, is that Retrograde (which get even worse reviews) won't be that bad like people tell it to be.

In the end it's all relative, people don't have the same tastes, same standards or expectation...
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Nathan on 17 Dec 2008, 14:05

I must one of the few people that adore Detention. It's just TOTAL insanity. Dolph with a machine gun and a ripped shirt, pretending to be a teacher, with a girlfriend who is also a teacher, they just NEEDED that in there for the romance factor. The bad guys were hysterical, I laughed just reading some of those lines above. Just total trashy action, total disregard for anything sensible or serious and I just loved it. I thought it was a total action packed blast. :D :D :D
"Are we having fun yet?" - Dolph Lundgren, Universal Soldier
Nathan
Regular

Postby Lennert on 18 Dec 2008, 01:57

The 'Shoot them in the bum!' line was just ridiculous and hilarious at the same time. Over the top, but really entertaining indeed :P
Lennert

Postby Nathan on 19 Dec 2008, 22:54

Yeah that's my favourite line. Although I did forget about the totally obscure line, "I smell teacher!" Where else would you find that line but in a movie from Dolph Lundgren. What a legend!!!!!! :D
"Are we having fun yet?" - Dolph Lundgren, Universal Soldier
Nathan
Regular

Re: DETENTION (2003)

Postby Scorpio on 11 May 2010, 16:55

Spanish Trailer
Scorpio

PreviousNext

Return to Dolph's Movies