What is the last movie you watched?

Feel free to discuss everything not related to Dolph. Have a good time and be friendly!

Moderator: Moderators

What is the last movie you watched?

Postby Daydreamer on 15 Dec 2008, 02:36

I did a quick search and couldn´t find a similar thread so I thought I start one. :D

Here we go:

Punisher: War Zone (2008)
Director: Lexi Alexander
Wow! Rock Hard, bloody brutal a la Garth Ennis (this recalls Punisher Max series that is both dark and extremely violent).
There was a sequence in the beginning that led me to become a concern (in my 'world' Punisher is not hanging upside down from a crystal chandelier and shoot down enemies, this scene appears in all the trailers and teasers so there is no direct spoiler I hope) but my concern dispersed quickly. This film is really good, violent Vigilante action at its best. Director Lexi Alexander has also seasoned movie with a lot of gore, which somewhat brings to mind Rambo (2008).
Despite my misgivings, I really appreciated Thomas Jane's depiction of the Punisher (2004), so is Ray Stevenson really excellent as Frank Castle.
I was a little dubious about the character Jigsaw (played by Dominic West) but he fit perfectly into the movie.
Eleven apples out of ten possible!
Recommended!

Underworld: Evolution (2006)
Director: Len Wiseman
So I finally took the time to look at this film, it stood at the shelf a long time. I was somewhat surprised to find that it gives a nice moments of entertainment, beautiful photo, ok acting, etc.
And Kate Beckinsale is really a delight for the eye (where the black suit is ..... mmmmm ...)
Eight out of ten apples possible

Rogue Assassin (2007)
Director: Philip G. Atwell
Another film that stood o collecting dust in the shelf, but now I gave it the time.
Stable action with some unexpected twists and turns, Jason Statham and Jet Li delivers solid, I thought that we would see more fighting between them.

The Island (2005)
Director: Michael Bay
A surprisingly good sci fi / action film with interesting action and good actor. Among the actors we find Ewan McGregor, Scarlett Johansson, Sean Bean and Steve Buscemi etc.
Eight out of ten apples possible.

Return to Sleep Away Camp (2008)
Director: Robert Hiltzik
The original movie is really good but this movie is honestly right of shoddily with annoying characters, bad effects, etc..
It is so bad that the movie almost becomes good ...
An apple out of ten possible

Acts of Death (2007)
Director: Jeff Burton
Another Slasher film.
Have had this in the collection in a couple of years but now I got to me that I would see it and it was a very pleasant surprise. The film may be an indie film (with a lower budget, etc.) but the script, actress, directing, etc is fully ok by me. Was actually a little surprised that it was so good.

Drive Through (2007)
Director: Brendan Cowles and Shane Kuhn
Another Slasher Film. This is pretty good if we as viewers do not take it for very seriously. There is a large dose of humor.
The film contains som graphic murders and some cute girls.
Six out of ten apples possible

/Daydreamer
Daydreamer

Postby Nathan on 15 Dec 2008, 14:48

Okay ermmm this is my list from over the past half year, roughly. I'll give my short reviews later.

Drunken Master
The Dark Knight
Death Race
Transporter 3
Flash Point
Get Smart
"Are we having fun yet?" - Dolph Lundgren, Universal Soldier
Nathan
Regular

Postby leigh1975 on 15 Dec 2008, 23:32

The Strangers - very disappointing
War, Inc - Not as good as Grosse Pointe Blank, still funny
Last Boy Scout - old school
Seed - unpleasant
leigh1975

Postby Daydreamer on 29 Dec 2008, 12:10

Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest (2006)
Director: Gore Verbinski
Entertaining and better than I thought it would be.
Seven out of ten apples possible

Kung Fu Panda (2008)
Director: Mark Osborne & John Stevenson
Entertaining and well animated film.

/ Daydreamer
Daydreamer

Postby Mosquito on 30 Dec 2008, 13:10

Yesterday I came across an interesting one that was a small gem:

Five Fingers (2006)
In Morocco to assist with the creation of a food charity, a Dutchman (Phillippe) is abducted by a terrorist (Fishburne).

An interesting and suspenseful psychological fight between the terrorist and the charity man. (7/10)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0428541/

Death Race (2008)

Well, I can only repeat what all of the professional movie critics have written: This movie is trash, it knows it's trash and it doesn't want to be anything else. It's a great trash movie, big fun and... well, just fun. ;-) (7/10)

Revolver (2005)

Guy Ritchie has created brilliant movies with Lock, Stock.. and Snatch. But this one is pseudo-artsy crap. Crap, crap, crap. A guy at the video rental warned me when he saw me taking the clip but I said that I just had to watche it because his other movies were so great. Well, I should have listened to the guy. Annoying, lengthy, talkative, booooooring, unintelligible. Stay away. (3/10)
Last edited by Mosquito on 08 Jan 2009, 21:57, edited 1 time in total.
Mosquito
Site Admin

Postby Daydreamer on 05 Jan 2009, 13:40

The Sea Hawk (1940)
Director: Michael Curtiz
Classic adventure film with Errol Flynn.
Nine out of ten apples possible!

Death Race unrated (2008)
Director: Paul W.S. Anderson
Really good action roll with Jason Statham in the lead role, I believe it is the best movie Paul W.S. Anderson made so far.
Eight apples out of ten possible

Cyber-Tracker 2 (1995)
Director: Richard Pepin
PM Entertainment Group is behind this action reel with Don 'The Dragon' Wilson that takes its inspiration from Robocop, Terminator and Universal Soldier. Some scenes are more or less copied ..
Cyber-Tracker 2 is largely a repeat of the Cyber Tracker (1994), I believe that some sequences, primarily a shoot out, is taken from a Cyber Tracker (1994).
A fun note is that the use of unifoms and helmets from the TV series V, they have not even bothered to remove the emblems from the west ..
Two apples of ten possible

Steel Frontier (1995)
Director: Jacobsen Hart & Paul G. Volk
Action / Sci fi from PM Entertainment Group with Joe Lara (which occur frequently in their works), Bo Svenson and Brion James.
A fun note is that Kane Hodder, a movie's bad guys have a beret decorated with a patch which depicts the type of hockeymask that Jason carries.
This is an entertaining film that draws its inspiration from Mad Max and spaghettiwesterns. Not bad at all ...
Six apples out of ten possible

/ Daydreamer
Jake: - What the fuck do you call 125 murders in 5 years?
The Punisher: - Work in progress.
Daydreamer

Postby The_Canadian on 06 Jan 2009, 07:41

Just saw The Spirit, The Secret Adventures of Tom Thumb and the old Paul Verhoeven movie Flesh+Blood.

The Spirit 2008
Quirky humour saves what at times resembles the Ed Wood version of Sin City.

4 Will Eisners spinning in their Grave out of 10

The Secret Adventures of Tom Thumb 1993
Among the weirdiest movies I've ever seen, but the stop motion animation is flawless. Fascinatingly creepy AND beautiful.

9 David-Lynch-like-Dream-sequences out of 10.

Flesh+Blood 1985
Verhoeven's first American movie, but don't let that fool you, it definitely doesn't hold back any punches! Filled to the brim with sexuality and violent action, F+B is the only (to my knowledge) Medieval-setting movie willing to show what life would actually be like back then. Film's lack of clear-cut/black-white Heroes or villains work as both the film's major strength and flaw.

8 Bloody Swords out of 10
"Loosly translated... out of the frying pan and boned up the ass with a red hot poker."
-Showdown In Little Tokyo
The_Canadian
Regular

Postby Nathan on 06 Jan 2009, 15:16

Mosquito I totally agree with the Revolver review, it was shockingly bad, the most annoying thing was that it had potential.

EASTERN PROMISES - Great little mob thriller with brilliant performances from everyone involved. Really gripping story and really intriguing and a nice relaxing film to watch and you can appreciate the subtle acting. Everyone was brilliant in their roles especially Viggo Mortensen and the locations, lighting and everything was perfect. Brutal in places but I like some good violence and deaths. Good script and all round very entertaining. 7.5/10.

THE PROTECTOR - Jackie Chan's first venture into the US market and not a particularly good one. It has all the neccessary elements and would have been brilliant had it been directed by a Hong Kong director but it just looks too USA and Hollywood like. Because the action is a combination of Hong Kong stunts and typical 80's cop action but the way it's directed takes away the effect of some of the stunts...hard to explain. The acting is hillarious, Jackie Chan's partner thinks he's a cross between Dirty Harry and Mel Gibson in Lethal Weapon and the dialogue is very funny in places such as Bill "Superfoot" Wallace saying to Jackie Chan in a fight, "Come on, big boy"...Jackie Chan couldn't believe his luck haha. And talk about the most hillarious unneccessary nudity, I was wetting myself laughing. Dozens of completely naked chicks packing drugs into melons to smuggle them - honestly you have to see some of the hillarities to believe them. I'll round this off by saying even in 1985 Hollywood wasn't ready for Jackie Chan - same as now and tried to put him in a cliched 80's cop actioner. In saying that the movie was entertaining, easy to watch and a good laugh. The action was cool in places with some nice explosions and chases. 6.5/10.

Hellboy II: The Golden Army - This is a strange one for me. On the one hand I hate CGI but on the other hand I didn't find anything particularly bad that made me dislike this one. On IMDB it says this is an accquired taste and I agree 100%. Some bits I could take seriously and the performances were good, others were just a little bit weird, if you watch the movie you will know what I mean. The colours are great, the acting is great, the DOP, everything looks like 100 million dollars and the script ain't bad either. My Dad loves Hellboy but he likes realistic films and he even said Death Sentence wasn't realistic. How is Hellboy realistic then? Like I said...an accquired taste and I'm halfway there to obtaining it...6.5/10.

POLICE STORY - Jackie Chan's first true mixed action movie with explosions and chases and shooting. Great mix of action with some incredible stunts, almost take your breath away just thinking about the sheer scariness of clinging onto the side of a speeding bus with only an umbrella. A fantastic showdown in a shopping mall and some incredibly painful and brutal fight moves displayed at the end. Great physical comedy in the first half and violent tough Chan in the second half. Incredible stuff. 8/10.

FEARLESS - Really good film this one. Lots of nice colours and a good DOP. Pretty good acting from everyone involved and even although I thought the story felt a bit disjointed and jumped from one thing to another it wasn't until the end credits that I realised it was someone's life story so that probably explains it. The film looks very pure and fresh and clean. The fights and spectacular and the violence is potent but sometimes one or two fight moves are sped up which looks bad. Other than that - really enjoyed this one. 7/10.
Nathan
Regular

Postby Mosquito on 08 Jan 2009, 22:20

Nathan, seems that we like the same movies. I think Eastern Promises is fantastic, creepy, sad and intense. Viggo Mortensen is an artist.

Recent views:

Transporter 3
People say about this movie that it is boring, that they didn't like the woman, her accent, the romance and that part 1 and 2 were much better. Well, I wasn't bored for a second, I thought the woman was ok and the romance, well, why not? And of course she had an accent, she played a Russian! I liked the movie and the unnessecary male nudity even though it was toooo obvious in one scene that they were just looking for an excuse to make Statham take his shirt off. :oops: (7/10)

Serenity
This was a second time but it is a very good test candidate for the projector. Sci-Fi is just *the* genre for big images especially when the movie contains battles in space. It will always remain a mystery why they discontinued the series "Firefly" after just one seasen. At least they gave us this movie which is as great, thrilling, entertaining and at times heart-warming as the series. (7.5/10)

Wanted
I had been warned not to waste my time on this one. What can I say?
1. Action/fantasy movies don't need to be master of reason. But there should be at least a little bit of reason behind the characters' behaviour or the whole movie. Not here.
2. Clearly I wasn't the target audience (short losers who dream of paying back all the people who make their lives even more miserable, become ruthless killers - best in the world - who also get the hottest, most mysterious chick on earth).
3. The worst aspect of the movie is the message: "You learn about yourself when people beat the crap out of you. It is ok. And you should beat up or kill the people who make your life miserable. You aren't able to write a darn sales report in three days? Blame your annoying superiour. Insult her. Quit your job instead of trying to achieve your targets."
(2/10 - because on the IMDB a 2 will lower the rating more than a 1)
Mosquito
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 08 Jan 2009, 22:28

Nathan wrote:Hellboy II: The Golden Army - This is a strange one for me. On the one hand I hate CGI but on the other hand I didn't find anything particularly bad that made me dislike this one. On IMDB it says this is an accquired taste and I agree 100%. Some bits I could take seriously and the performances were good, others were just a little bit weird, if you watch the movie you will know what I mean. The colours are great, the acting is great, the DOP, everything looks like 100 million dollars and the script ain't bad either. My Dad loves Hellboy but he likes realistic films and he even said Death Sentence wasn't realistic. How is Hellboy realistic then? Like I said...an accquired taste and I'm halfway there to obtaining it...6.5/10.

I haven't seen it (shame on me but I haven't gone much to the movies in the last 6 months contrary to the last 20 years) but here in France people describe it as one of the few existing real "auteur" / arthouse blockbusters. I'm not fan of his movies but Del Toro is definitely an instesting filmmaker (and one of the best audio commentators).
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Nathan on 08 Jan 2009, 22:34

Yeah it was definately interesting Jox, I couldn't say there was a dull moment in it, but it was in between an arthouse film and a CGI blockbuster...two such polar opposites take an avid movie fan with a versatile taste to like it. :) And yes!! Shame on you!! :x I think 2008 was the year I went to the cinema most, I think I went four times in the weeks leading up to Christmas!! 2009 should bring some amazing films..make sure you get your ass into the multiplexes or there will be hell to pay... :twisted:.... :lol:
Nathan
Regular

Postby leigh1975 on 08 Jan 2009, 23:17

Resident Evil Degeneration (Better than the live action ones, but you know...)
Repo! The Genetic Opera (Odd but entertaining; Sweeney Todd for the Piercing and tattoo crowd)
Pineapple Express (Decent throwback to stuff like 48 Hours)
Babylon AD (Better thand reviewers would have you believe... but ONLY if you see the extended French Studio Canal version; the 15 version in the UK)
Pistol Whipped (Not as good as Renegade Justice, but still above most of the other dreck he's been doing recently)
leigh1975

Postby Nathan on 08 Jan 2009, 23:42

I plan to check out Pineapple Express a few years down the line...my dvd to see list is huge and the guys on the Van Damme forum are busting my nuts to see classics like Scarface but I thought Pistol Whipped was pretty decent. Solid DTV with a good plot and a great climax. Yeah, I liked it a lot. :)
Nathan
Regular

Postby Mosquito on 09 Jan 2009, 02:02

BTW I thought that Hellboy II had awesome scenery and costumes / makeup but the story was kinda... well, I can't describe it. I felt disconnected, there was nothing that touched my heart. I just watched and wasn't sucked in as usual, something was missing.
Mosquito
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 09 Jan 2009, 11:02

Nathan wrote:the guys on the Van Damme forum are busting my nuts to see classics like Scarface but I thought Pistol Whipped was pretty decent.
And they're right, especially when you use SCARFACE and PISTOL WHIPPED in the same sentence (and no matter the quality of PW) :wink:
Jox
Site Admin

Next

Return to Off-Topic